New (better) process for updating firmware

This forum is for discussing the process of updating the firmware, Please feel free to ask questions about this here, as the process of updating can be a little tricky the first time you do it, and your questions and responses will help others in the future.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New (better) process for updating firmware

Post by admin »

Sounds good! If it would be possible to copy the error message and all the surrounding text, that would be helpful too. I contacted the people who make QMK Toolbox, and they were interested in seeing it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Hi Andrew.

I was going to take a screenshot of the error message for the QMK guys but... too late! When I tried the 1st suggestion in your list (uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling), it worked!! Haha!!

Thanks very much for the help :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Awesome! I’m glad it worked. I’ll let the makers of the app know that this happened to both of us. Thanks for your patience with this process.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Followed this process here in late 2022 and having the same issues (on WIndows 7 Pro). I install the driver, then QMK Toolbox. Point to the bin.hex file for Firmware Update 2.1, select Auto Flash, double-tap the WARBL. QMK does not see an HID device. Nothing happens.

In Chrome, in the WARBL configuration tool, I can play a tune. Firmware still shows as 2.0 (update available).

I tried using the HEXCODER program and instructions. That seemed to work, in that I selected the HID button, the in.hex & Uploaded. Resetting the WARBL the lights flashed for awhile. Start the configuration again & still reports Firmware 2.0
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, just to make sure, did you install the Adafruit drivers but not the ones that QMK offers to install when you install that app?

When you double-tapped the WARBL button when you had QMKToolbox open, did the LED start pulsing? I'm guessing that if QMK didn't see any device at all it's some sort of driver issue, most likely that there's an extra driver installed that Windows is using instead of the Adafruit one.

It does almost sound like it worked when you used Hexcoder, because the WARBL LED does flash three times after installing new firmware. Just to confirm, is the hex file you're using called WARBL_2.1.ino.hex?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

admin wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:49 pm Okay, just to make sure, did you install the Adafruit drivers but not the ones that QMK offers to install when you install that app?
YES
In the Windows Control Panel:

Windows Driver Package-> Adafruit Industries (us... Adafruit Industries
Adafruit Industries Product version: 04/25/2010 1.3.1

Windows Driver Package-> Adafruit Industries LLC... Adafruit Industries LLC
Adafruit Industries Product version: 01/13/2019 10.2.3.4
admin wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:49 pm When you double-tapped the WARBL button when you had QMKToolbox open, did the LED start pulsing? I'm guessing that if QMK didn't see any device at all it's some sort of driver issue, most likely that there's an extra driver installed that Windows is using instead of the Adafruit one.
Briefly solid, I think (not currently connected while I'm responding). A "thunk" sound from the computer. QMX still did not see it.
admin wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:49 pm It does almost sound like it worked when you used Hexcoder, because the WARBL LED does flash three times after installing new firmware. Just to confirm, is the hex file you're using called WARBL_2.1.ino.hex?
YES. Freshly downloaded & UnZIPped.

I had also in the Control Panel uninstalled the Adafruit drivers & QMK Toolbox, rebooted, & ran the installs again. Not sure why it now shows those 2 drivers with such vastly different dates. No luck, so I had tried the HEXCODE app. That seemed to process, but the WARBL configuration screen continues to show Firmware 2.0 (update available).

All the best,

Kevin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have a feeling that for some reason Windows is not actually using the Adafruit driver, but some other generic one that was installed on your system in the past. You may be able to look in the Device Manager to see what driver Windows is actually using when you put the WARBL into bootloader mode--If you look at the list of USB devices and then double-click the programming button, a new device should appear. Then you'll have a few seconds while the WARBL is in bootloader mode to look at the driver. If you can find out what that is, you may be able to uninstall it. It's been a while since I've used Windows 7, so I can't remember exactly what the process for that is.

Sorry about this issue- -Windows 7 presents some special challenges for this sort of thing because it stills requires drivers. If it doesn't work on your machine do you have access to a newer PC or Mac (or possibly Android) that you could use for the update?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

I do have a Windows 10 machine that I don't use often, so I'll switch over and attempt the firmware update again. I'm using the WARBL with my Samsung S10 Android phone - how do I update from that?

BTW, nothing new shows up on the Device Manager when I double-click the programming button. I checked the USB Controllers, and the Human Interface Devices section, and the drivers all show as Microsoft 2006. However, under Sound, video and game controllers, there is a WARBL entry, Microsoft driver date 2013.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just recently learned about this Android app, which sounds like it would work:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... fpktUxSVxY

However, I don't have an Android to test it with, so I couldn't guarantee results, and the Windows 10 route might be safer. If you do try the Android app, you'd want to select AtMega32U4 as the MCU (it looks like that might be the default).

The WARBL USB entry on your machine is for when the WARBL is in its normal MIDI mode, which doesn't require drivers, but in theory another device should show up (Probably with an Adafruit name if it's using the right driver) when you double-click the programming button. It's odd that nothing shows up. I guess you could try restarting the machine if you haven't done that since installing the Adafruit drivers, though as far as I know that shouldn't be necessary.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Firmware updated on Windows 10. I did not try the Android utility.

On the Win7 system, while the Control Panel does show the Adafruit drivers, I don't see anywhere they end up connected to the WARBL. Too bad they don't seem to let you do a Driver Update and specifically point to an area on the disk that the driver can install from.