Basic info

This forum is for discussing the process of updating the firmware, Please feel free to ask questions about this here, as the process of updating can be a little tricky the first time you do it, and your questions and responses will help others in the future.
admin
Site Admin

Basic info

Post by admin »

I added this forum because I'm sure there will be questions about updating the firmware as I continue to release new versions, and the process can be a bit confusing the first time you do it. Also, I don't have a Mac, so hopefully those of you with Macs will able to help each other here if necessary.

The directions for updating the firmware are in section 8 of the User Manual, and the links to the necessary software are on the Documentation page. The main things that can sometimes cause problems are:

-On Windows 7 only, make sure you install the drivers before attempting the update. Windows 7 is the only OS that requires a driver for WARBL.
-The timing of double-clicking the rest/programming button-- this puts WARBL into programming mode. If you've done it correctly, the LED should pulse slowly. If instead it is solid green or unlit, just try double-clicking again.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Re: Basic info

Post by ralphsilat »

Hi Andrew.

For some reason, I can't update my firmware to version 1.6. I have to say though that I'm not very computer savvy and today is my first attempt at updating so, most likely, I'm screwing up the process somewhere. Following the instructions in the manual, I get only as far as running the Hex Uploader. Why? Because I can't seem to find any firmware hex file in the unzipped folders when I click "..."

Don't know if it matters but I use Windows 10. Help please. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oops, my mistake! I uploaded the code in the raw Arduino format rather than the hex format. I've fixed the link, though your browser might not realize that the file has changed and may try to download the old one still, so I've attached the correct one here as well. This one isn't zipped, so you should be able to just download it and then open it in the hex uploader. Sorry, and thanks for letting me know about this!
Attachments
WARBL_1.6.ino.hex
(60.75 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Thanks Andrew!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure! Let me know if you have any other troubles installing it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

I think it might have worked but I'm not sure. Haha!

I can now play Bb using XOXXXX fingering and, using the configuration tool, I can see Gaita, Gaita extended and Xiao options in the Fingering Pattern pulldown menu but, for some strange reason, it says in the upper right hand corner that my firmware version is still 1.5 and that there's a firmware update available.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm, I think your web browser may just need to refresh the page, which in most browsers you can do by hitting control F5, or if you’re using the WARBL app, double-click the home button and then swipe the app upward.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually, it's odd that it still says you have v.1.5, even if the browser didn't update. If you have still have v 1.5 the new options will show in the menus, but they will be disabled (greyed out).

When you used the hex uploader and you double-clicked the programming button, did a window open briefly saying that it was writing the firmware? I'm not positive that it worked.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Neither worked, unfortunately. Still says my firmware version is 1.5, even after shifting to my iPad. Oh and I just noticed that, yea, Gaita and Xiao are are greyed-out.

No, I didn't notice any window opening but the yellow light did pulse. Should I try it again?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I’d try it again. It may have been an issue with the timing. When you double-click the button a new window should open momentarily showing lots of diagnostics and saying that it is writing to the chip.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz