Basic info

This forum is for discussing the process of updating the firmware, Please feel free to ask questions about this here, as the process of updating can be a little tricky the first time you do it, and your questions and responses will help others in the future.
ralphsilat

Re: Basic info

Post by ralphsilat »

Will try now. Thanks!
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

I can't do it. It's just not happening. I'm not opening that new window.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, just to confirm the order of operations, you’re selecting “Device in HID mode”, and then clicking “upload HEX”, and then double-clicking the programming button, and the LED on WARBL is pulsing, correct? But nothing happens on the PC then?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Correct. And I tried various double-click speeds.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, are there any spaces in the path where the hex file is located? For example, it can be in a folder called Documents, but not one called My Documents, or in any sub-folder of that.

Here’s another thing you can try. Instead of selecting “Device in HID Mode”, select “Device in Serial Mode”, and then double-click the programming button, and then immediately open the drop-down menu next to the “Device in Serial Mode” selection. There should be a new COM port that has appeared, for example COM 8, COM 10, or something like that. If there’s not, it means that it can’t see WARBL for some reason.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Will try those. Thanks! 🙂
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! When you open the hex uploader, you can also try right-clicking on it and choosing “Run as administrator”. I don’t think that’s necessary, but it might be worth a try.

If the PC isn’t seeing WARBL (if a COM port isn’t showing up), it probably isn’t user the generic drivers like Windows 10 is supposed to do. In that case we can try installing a driver.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

admin wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:38 pm Here’s another thing you can try. Instead of selecting “Device in HID Mode”, select “Device in Serial Mode”, and then double-click the programming button, and then immediately open the drop-down menu next to the “Device in Serial Mode” selection. There should be a new COM port that has appeared, for example COM 8, COM 10, or something like that. If there’s not, it means that it can’t see WARBL for some reason.
Tried this and got COM3 in the drop-down menu. How do I proceed from here? Should click 'Upload Hex'?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting. That’s a good sign that it’s seeing WARBL, but in that case I’m not sure why it’s not uploading. Yes, you can try clicking “upload” before the WARBL LED stops flashing, though on my machine that doesn’t work. It can’t hurt to try, though.

Another thing to verify— when you unzipped the hex uploader, you kept the folder structure the same, so the “bin” folder is in the same folder as the hex uploader, correct? It seems that for some reason, the hex uploader may not be able to access that folder. You could also try moving the whole folder to a different directory, like maybe the root directory on your C drive, in case we’re running into a permissions issue.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ralphsilat

Post by ralphsilat »

Whoa! I saw the window!! I think it worked! Hold on. Lemme check