Timeout while uploading from Arduino IDE on OS X

This forum is for discussing the process of updating the firmware, Please feel free to ask questions about this here, as the process of updating can be a little tricky the first time you do it, and your questions and responses will help others in the future.
da3v

Timeout while uploading from Arduino IDE on OS X

Post by da3v »

I wait until compile shows global variables use 971 bytes of dynamic memory do a double click of the programming button see the slow pulse, which changes to the fast pulse of a write, but it stops pretty quickly and fails with "Couldn't find board on port" error.

If I export the hex and use the firmware installer, do I want with or without bootloader? (Your hex file is w/o bootloader sized)

Thanks!
Dave
da3v

Re: Timeout while uploading from Arduino IDE on OS X

Post by da3v »

Uploading the hexfile using the AVR tool worked. (I chickened out and used the "with bootloader" flavor)
I tested using the downloaded hex file first, and when that was successful, loaded my locally compiled version. Now on to fingering charts...

I re-read the instructions for using arduino IDE on github, and noticed the bit about verbose uploading. With that enabled, it looks like the write succeeded, and then threw the error?

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.75s

avrdude: 21938 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against /var/folders/9j/plh4bwbd69q299721lr67w0r0000gn/T/arduino_build_275962/WARBL_1.6_Beta_6.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file /var/folders/9j/plh4bwbd69q299721lr67w0r0000gn/T/arduino_build_275962/WARBL_1.6_Beta_6.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file /var/folders/9j/plh4bwbd69q299721lr67w0r0000gn/T/arduino_build_275962/WARBL_1.6_Beta_6.ino.hex contains 21938 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.27s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 21938 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Timeout while uploading from Arduino IDE on OS X

Post by admin »

My apologies, I've been traveling and didn't notice this thread until just now.

Yes, it looks like the write did succeed. The reason it throws that error after writing is that I have the code set up to hide the serial port, meaning there's no serial port visible to the IDE until you double-click the button to enter bootloader mode. I do that to make WARBL a class-compliant MIDI device, meaning that it doesn't require a custom driver for any OS during normal operation. The IDE expects to see an Arduino with a visible serial port after programming, hence why it gives the error, which you can ignore.

If you do want to have the serial port available (which lets you debug by writing to the serial monitor in the IDE), you can go to the USBCore.cpp tab and comment out this line:

#define CDCCON_DISABLE

Then WARBL will work normally but you will be able to use the serial monitor. It also makes it so that you shouldn't have to double-click the programming button; the IDE should be able to tell it to enter the bootloader for programming.

To answer your question about the hex file, I use the one without the bootloader. I've never tried using the one with the bootloader-- I don't think it's possible to actually change the bootloader over USB, so I'm not sure what (if anything) it does when you try to use that version of the hex file.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but let me kinow if I can clarify or elaborate. Sorry again for the slow reply!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz