Using Warbl as a Wind Controller for Dynamics

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
jokoloski

Using Warbl as a Wind Controller for Dynamics

Post by jokoloski »

HI,
I've been considering investing in an orchestra vst bundle like Miroslav Philharmonik 2 or East West Gold with the aim of using the WARBL as a MIDI wind controller. Ideally, I'd set this up in Ableton, which I just recently installed on my laptop. Do you know if I could map WARBL data to give me command over dynamics and articulation, so the virtual instruments sound more lifelike? if this is possible, how would I go about setting it up?
I'm new to the whole MIDI thing, but I got the WARBL because I can play the tin whistle and thought it would be awesome if I could expand my instrumental repertoire by using the WARBL as a MIDI wind controller. Specifically, I'd like to know how to map breath expression to virtual instruments in Ableton.
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Warbl as a Wind Controller for Dynamics

Post by admin »

I haven't used Ableton, but WARBL can send air pressure as aftertouch or any CC by using the settings in the "Expression" panel, so that's probably what you'll want to use. You can also map pressure to velocity which some DAWs will interpret in a variety of ways. I expect that either aftertouch or a CC will be most useful, though.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Re: Using Warbl as a Wind Controller for Dynamics

Post by 2Dog »

I only use my WARBL in bag mode and have controlled vol with aftertouch but it gets complicated and results vary widely depending on the software you are controlling. I got my best results using Equator on Mac.