Bagpipe bags

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
elbowpipe

Bagpipe bags

Post by elbowpipe »

For anyone like me driven by vanity and how things look, I've been experimenting with putting the WARBL into my uilleann set, with some success. Firstly I created an adaptor between the plastic pipe coming out of the WARBL and the mouth of the bag, from one of these plastic screw-on tops for silicone tubes. Cut enough off the narrow end to allow the pipe to squeeze through, and on the other end cut it so it just fits into the bag mouth (with some white plumbers tape).
Configuration:
Fairly quickly got both octaves working, but the main problem was that no matter how I experimented with pressure settings, the chanter wouldn't go silent. Then I switched on 'bagless' and configured button 3 to switch chanter on/off, also played around with 'threshold' and 'multiplier. At present 66 and 20 respectively seems to work, but it will all depend on your physical approach. I found I had to 'think bag not bellows' to make it work. I'm considering the PUC+ bluetooth emulator to reduce the number of cables, although its expensive. Anyone else using this?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bagpipe bags

Post by admin »

Sounds good! If the sound won't stop when you release the bag, it may be that the calibration pressure is set to low. With a bag, it's best to use the "learn or enter pressure" setting. That way you can "teach" it what pressure to use for turning the sound on or off (or you can enter a pressure value). See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134

Just let me know if you have questions about that.

I know that some people have used the PUC+ successfully (I'm not sure if they still make it, though (?)). With any Bluetooth adapter there will be a small amount of added latency, but I've been told that the PUC+ is one of the better ones on that regard.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I use the PUC+ and bag mode all the time. Works great but I don't think they are still in production. I use Mac and ios and never had any issues with it. I found mine used on Reverb.com years ago and used it with other wind-controllers and keyboards. Make sure you get the wires that came with it. PS do not get the original PUC as it was wifi midi and I had to return that when they first came out.
Last edited by 2Dog on Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

I use the yamaha, better than the original PUC, i notice no lag
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

My Electric Chair. Boda Bag, PUC+, adjustable strap and iPad mini. If iPad hooked to amp you have freedom to march around but I chose to recline. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zm3TtW4jcLxNdyvPA
B4183235-5869-4F3D-B44A-E6CC1A6A6EC2.jpeg
B4183235-5869-4F3D-B44A-E6CC1A6A6EC2.jpeg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 5787 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice! I was looking at bota bags online recently in my ongoing attempts to find a more aesthetically pleasing alternative to the blue water bottles. There are some that look nice but appear to be rigid plastic, and so wouldn't work. I'm hoping there may be one that combines reasonable appearance and affordability.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I made one out of a rigid plastic water bottle and it worked. Wrapped a beer cozy around it so it didn't make a noticeable crinkle sound when squeezed and look like I was getting an I. V. Attached an over-shoulder strap using velcro ties around the bottle for attach points. Favorite still is the my WARBLatee that had a frontal-la-bottlame. Put the bottle you sell inside the stuffed Manatee.
IMG_0474.png
IMG_0474.png (158.35 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vQU6htKRU3Xfo3qK7
Attachments
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg (120.21 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
Jakkes

Post by Jakkes »

Nowadays wine is also sold in square boxes. In those cartboard boxes the wine is contained in a plasic bag that has a small tap. I suppose these ( empty ) bags can be adapted to be used with the warbl.
Mikef

Post by Mikef »

I made myself a bag by following this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCzUBKKykow. It took a lot of trial and error to get the bag semi airtight but it does ok. I made a cover for it from the leg cut from a pair of old pyjama trousers! You have to set the configuration tool to "Learn" as Andrew said in another related thread because the pressure is never the same each time you set it up. My next plan is to add some bellows by adding an air intake valve to the bag. You will see I added a piece of ribbon around the stock and some velcro to close off the bag.
Pipebag.jpg
Pipebag.jpg (237.88 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice job, looks good!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz