Missing note off midi messages

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
paulsherwood6

Missing note off midi messages

Post by paulsherwood6 »

Hello all,

I have had my WARBL for a few days and I am really impressed. I am running on windows 10 (Sforzando running as a VST in Cakewalk using a soundfont I made from my bagpipes). One glitch I have noticed is that occasionally a note sticks on, until I play that note again and move off it. Presumably it is a note that was only on for a very short time and (I think its often what pipers called crossing noises).
I will try different software in due course, and maybe different hardware too, but I am curious to know if anyone else has anyone seen this, and if there anything I can try to stop it.

thanks
Paul

PS I can't run Sforzando as a stand-alone app because there is some bug/incompatibility with my audio driver, I get an unsupported sample rate message and no sound).

PPS I have a copy of Soundfont Midi Player and so far it seems not to have the problem but otherwise this hasn't sounded so good for me so far. My drone note is missing!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Missing note off midi messages

Post by admin »

Hi Paul, I'm glad you're enjoying your WARBL!

Stuck MIDI notes are pretty common, and I'm never quite sure what causes them. They seem to occur on some apps and not others, also depending on the OS and hardware setup. I never see them in SForzando on my machine, but I occasionally have them in Thumbjam and Universal Piper on iOS. I wonder if tweaking the buffer settings has any affect?

Currently, WARBL sends notes as legato, meaning that the NoteOff command for the previous note is sent after the NoteOn command for the next note. That's how wind controllers are "supposed" to send notes because it signals to the host that the notes should be interpreted as legato. In the next firmware update, you'll have the option of turning that off, and there's a chance that it could help with stuck notes, in case the app doesn't like that sequence of messages.

It's a hack, but if you'd like you can set a button on WARBL to send a MIDI panic message that should turn off all notes.

It's interesting about the driver incompatibility-- I wonder if Plogue would have any input on that? I'm using ASIO4All on my PC.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
paulsherwood6

Re: Missing note off midi messages

Post by paulsherwood6 »

Thank you. I think fingering the stuck note again is probably quicker than operating the button assuming I can learn to hear which note it is!
Plogue did respond on Sforzando - it was their suggestion to trying ASIO4ALL.
Since posting I have experimented some more. Sforzando does work standalone when I have an external interface (Presonus audiobox usb 96) attached and set up as the output device. I will try it through this for a while.