Help

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
McLynn

Help

Post by McLynn »

Hi I’m brand new and not that tech savvy. I love the instrument and started making music easily with the Celtic sounds app. I was hooked and wanted more sounds so I bought Michael Elkins bagpipe pro and a bundle that came with 8 different Celtic instruments by AppCordions and no matter what I try I can’t get them to work with the WARBL. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help

Post by admin »

Hi, I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far, and I’m happy to help however I can. What particular problem are you having with the apps? Are they making no noise at all, or are only some notes playing? Typically the issue is selecting the right key for WARBL to send to apps. Many apps only respond to notes within a certain range (often only one octave for bagpipes) so if the correct key isn’t selected they will only play some notes, or possibly none at all.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
McLynn

Post by McLynn »

Thanks for the help. I’m using your WARBL app is that a a core compatible midi app? I know a beginner question. I’m trying to use it with appcordians midi controller collection it kind of works if I play through the same instrument like concertina on the Celtic sounds app and then use one of the concertinas on the bundle of 8. But I’m not getting any change in the sound of a different concertina. I can go from the WARBL app to ThumbJam or sample pack and it is recognized. I tried your recommendations and I did get it a little closer. I also tried deleting the apps and reinstalling them, but I don’t think that got me anywhere. When I open the app they ask if I was using Core midi and I’m really not sure if I am. Thanks for helping me I did not expect it from the man himself!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, okay, here’s what I believe is the issue:

MIDI controller apps are apps that allow you you play a particular instrument like concertina on the touchscreen and send MIDI messages to another app that will then produce the sound. In other words, the MIDI controller apps don’t make any sound, they just produce MIDI messages, just like WARBL does (it is also a MIDI controller). In contrast, apps like Celtic Sounds actually receive MIDI messages and produce sound. I believe that the Appcordions controller apps don’t produce any sound, but they may be sending MIDI messages to Celtic Sounds, if you have that open at the same time, so they all sound the same because you may, for example, have concertina selected in Celtic Sounds the whole time.

The Appcordions apps are a bit confusing because some are just controllers, others can receive MIDI messages and produce sound, and some do both. If there’s a particular sound that you’d like to produce with WARBL, let me know and I can help select an app.

You also mentioned the Bagpipes Pro app— I believe that one is also just a controller app, unless you got the Bagpipes Pro + MIDI version, which can receive messages from WARBl and produce sound.

Sorry for all that confusion!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
McLynn

Post by McLynn »

OK thanks I thought that might be the case. I would love to play the Instruments on bagpipe pro. Soi it’s the GHP, small pipes sac pippa and border pipes. If you know what app to buy for that that would be great I’m using an iOS device. I would also like to know where I can go to find a list of other apps for other instruments that are WARBL compatible. I am addicted to sound. You have been a great help and this is an amazing instrument. Thanks so much for this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's the link to the version of Bagpipes Pro with MIDI input support:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/midi-bagp ... 18729?ls=1

I actually made the same mistake, first buying the other version without MIDI. It's confusing :)

The are quite a few apps available, so it's a little hard to suggest ones unless you're looking for specific sounds, but you might try Roland Sound Canvas, which has very good samples of many, many instruments. It's really fun to play with!:

https://www.roland.com/us/products/soun ... s_for_ios/
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
McLynn

Post by McLynn »

Great thanks a lot!