My bagpipe solution

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
charly52

My bagpipe solution

Post by charly52 »

Hi, I am a new user of warbl in Germany.

I want to show you my solution of the warbl together with a bagpipe bag.

I produced some small bagpipes some time ago. Now I found my latest instrument again. It is a Canmore Goretex bag to which I attached a blowpipe and a chanter. Now I detached the chanter and instead inserted a cork of a whisky bottle. Drilled a hole into that cork and attached the warbl with a short tube. See attached photo.

Works well. A bit tricky is the configuration of the breath pressure for chanter and drones of warbl. Maybe someone has made experiences with this to give some advice.

There is one one (severe) problem with warbl to play it like a bagpipe. Where shall I place the thumb of my right hand? I always press the middle button accidentally. Who knows a solution?
Attachments
IMG_7889.JPG
IMG_7889.JPG (71.86 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: My bagpipe solution

Post by admin »

Very nice! that looks great. If you'd like to post a screenshot of your pressure settings I can see if there are any suggestions I can make.

Yes, for some players the buttons aren't ideally located. In my initial research I found that some people put their thumb near the top button and some put it near the middle button, etc., so I couldn't find an ideal location for all of them. The best solution may be to disable the button that is getting accidentally pushed. Or, you can only use it in combination with other buttons or possibly for long presses only so you can still have some functionality but aren't getting accidental presses.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
charly52

Post by charly52 »

Part 1 screenshot
EEB937F7-D99B-4EBF-B867-7C1F0E5AAEDC.png
EEB937F7-D99B-4EBF-B867-7C1F0E5AAEDC.png (234.97 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
charly52

Post by charly52 »

765C5DB7-24CB-4CB2-8346-0EC8DC6CD6C4.png
765C5DB7-24CB-4CB2-8346-0EC8DC6CD6C4.png (250.98 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
part 2 screenshot
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The main thing I notice there is that you have the drones to turn on and off with the chanter and also with button 2, so you may want to disable button 2 if you're not actually using it for the drones. In terms of the pressure, is there something in particular that's giving you trouble? I'm not a piper myself but I do know that the typical pressure for GHB is much higher than 5 inches H2O and you may get a little more control using a higher pressure. If you want to use pressure to control the drones as well, I'd just suggest experimenting with a fairly low pressure for drones and a higher one for the chanter (so the drones come on first).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz