Battery Midi Sound Module

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
ChasJ

Battery Midi Sound Module

Post by ChasJ »

As someone who is totally confused by all the different computer synth programs, ios/android/windows options. I have gone an alternate route and purchased a simple Battery Midi Sound Module. (thanks to being pointed in the right direction by Andrew)
Connected to a small amp with tone, reverb and chorus controls this gives a satisfactory sound output and is particularly useful for busking as the rechargeable battery seems to last for ever. For silent use just swap the amp for headphones.
Some of the generated sounds are frankly rubbish and some difficult to control with the WARBL but on the other hand many are remarkably good and work well within, and even outside, of their normal (instrument) range. I am using the WARBL in whistle mode and I have not worked out if it is possible to adjust volume by breath control yet, (as I don't really understand all the WARBL configuration tools) but over-blowing works well for moving between octaves.
I am using this as an entry point to becoming familiar with the WARBL while I come to grips with the finer points of using the more complex route which seems to be pursued by many users.
Any tips around using this sort of system would be most welcomed.

Here is the one I have. If looking at alternatives bear in mind that it needs to supply power to the WARBL via the USB host.

GM Soundmodul

The Pianobox mini from Miditech is a general MIDI sound module with 128 GM sounds. With the Pianobox mini, every master keyboard and every MIDI file player becomes a full-fledged musical instrument without having to rely on a computer connection. Even master keyboards without a physical MIDI output can be connected directly to the Pianobox mini thanks to the USB host.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Battery Midi Sound Module

Post by admin »

Great, I'm glad that is working well! I'm not surprised that some of the sounds aren't very good, but it's good to hear that there are some better ones as well.

I would assume that it would respond to basic breath control, and as a test you can just turn on the "Send pressure as CC" switch in the Configuration Tool and see if blowing harder changes the volume. For it to be useful you'd then have to changes the mapping settings, but that would be an interesting initial test.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
emackay

Miditech Pianobox Mini help? Was Re: Battery Midi Sound Module

Post by emackay »

After reading this thread, I picked up a Miditech Pianobox Mini to test out for a gig. It just arrived from Germany today (I'm in Maryland, US). It charged quickly, and all fo the readouts looks as expected.

Unfortunately, no matter what midi device or cable I use, I'm not getting any indication it's receiving data and no sound - the midi/usb lights do not come on. I've tried my piano and the Warbl, and multiple cables (including 3.5 mm and USB interfaces). The device is charged, and cycles through the settings as expected.

When I plug in the USB cable, it briefly reads either "dof" or "don" and then either shows the battery capacity or the current selection setting. But again the data lights do not flash, and no sound comes out. I tried several sets of headphones as well, just in case.

Is there a setting or set up I'm missing? I have gone over the users manual and I'm concerned I'm missing something.

Note: the Warbl & Piano work fine -- already double checked those. I'm just hoping someone here is more familiar with this device and could lend some insight.

Thanks!

Edie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I haven't tried that particular device, sorry! There may be other forums related to MIDI it has been discussed, though, or possibly the manufacturer would have some suggestions for you. If neither the piano nor the WARBL are working with it, I might suspect that the device is faulty.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

It was not intended for it but I discovered the Roland AE10, 20 and 30 to be the only battery wind controller friendly sound module. They all can be played as a wind controller or they accept midi in if you know how to route it from the WARBL. You need a midi interface. I just use my ipad with AUM. You also need an amp and/or headphones.