No sound with apps

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
ban1960@live.com

No sound with apps

Post by ban1960@live.com »

Anybody experience sound with warble app but not with other apps?
admin
Site Admin

Re: No sound with apps

Post by admin »

Are you using headphones, or are you using the built-in speaker on your device? The reason I ask is because occasionally iOS will route sound differently for different types of apps. If possible, I'd try using the built-in speaker first for troubleshooting.

Have you tried multiple apps, or just one? The common reasons for note having sound are a wrong MIDI channel setting in the app or a mismatch with the WARBL key setting so that notes sent by WARBL are out of the range of the app. If you let me know what app(s) you're trying I can try to figure out what's going on.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ban1960@live.com

Thanks for your reply….I am not using headphones or any type of Bluetooth device (to my knowledge). I am using an iPad Pro with up to date iOS version. The camera connector cord I purchased seems to be an aftermarket product but works with config. App. I am using Celtic Sounds - I don’t think I have downloaded another yet. I also seem to have difficulty getting the F hole to play (tin whistle fingerings - key of D). I have played around with the hole con fig tools at the bottom of the WARBL app but whether I go up or down (+ or -) it makes no difference. Hopefully I have provided enough info. to start out with?
Billie
ban1960@live.com

So after another go I have gotten sound - one tone only - from the Celtic Sounds app - with each instrument choice. If I eliminate any reverb I get that unchanging tone. Add any reverb, no sound at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Would it be possible to attach or email me screenshots of your settings in both Celtic Sounds and the Configuration Tool? That might help me figure this out. If you're getting the notes you would expect in the WARBL app that eliminates and communication issues between the WARBL and your iPad, and tells us that the iPad is receiving the correct MIDI notes, so it points to something with the Celtic Sounds app itself, though I don't think I've seen this particular issue before.

In terms of the calibration, you may have to click the up or down arrows multiple times in order to notice a change, as they are fairly sensitive settings. You can also try auto-calibrating all of the tone holes--I usually recommend doing that anyway with a device that's new to you. If you haven't seen it already, this video covers doing that:

https://youtu.be/R7Xl5Db8QDM
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ban1960@live.com

Should have thought to do this before :-). I deleted app., downloaded again and now all seems well :-)
ban1960@live.com

Oh my goodness…….just tried again after sending my last msg now no sound again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very strange. Have you tried "force-closing" all your apps? Here's how to do it on an iOS device without a home button:

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how- ... r-iphone-x

I wonder if you do that and then open only Celtic Sounds (not the WARBL app), if that will have any effect. I got your email with the Celtic Sounds settings, and those look fine. You could also try another app like ThumbJam to further isolate the problem, though I understand not wanting to buy another app.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suppose there's also a chance that for some reason the adapter you're using has an issue. It seems unlikely, but occasionally strange audio problems end up being attributed to non-Apple adapters.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ban1960@live.com

Force closed all apps, deleted Celtic sounds and WARBL apps, restarted iPad, reinstalled apps, and cleaned iPad connection port - and I am in heaven :-). Things are working well. I play with a group of 4 other women and we have a harp, two hammered dulcimers, acoustic guitar/banjo, electric bass, my whistles and recorders (and now WARBL), melodica and a(n)? harmonium. This will be fun. We use BOSE sound systems which can accept USB, small headphone and large mic jacks. I’ll be playing around with that next. Thank you……..