New iPad/iPhone and USB C

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
ThinkMethod

New iPad/iPhone and USB C

Post by ThinkMethod »

I have an older IPad Pro 12.9" and a camera adapter that works well with my MIDI piano.

I also have an 8" iPad mini that has a USB C connector.

I would prefer to use the mini with the Warbl. My question is do I need a camera adapter with the mini, or can I just use a micro USB to USB C cable?
admin
Site Admin

Re: New iPad/iPhone and USB C

Post by admin »

Assuming your iPad mini has a headphone jack (I believe it does), then you should just be able to use a micro-USB to USB-C cable. For USB-C devices without a headphone jack, the best option seems to be USB-C hub with a headphone jack. They've gotten very common and inexpensive, and I suspect they'll be the "universal" solution for MIDI devices once Apple switches all its iPhones to USB-C as well.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ThinkMethod

Post by ThinkMethod »

Thanks for the prompt response.
Unfortunately the mini does not have a built in audio out.
I already have one USB C hub so I can use the mini with my edrum kit. (I use a software app called Melodics to learn drums). Unfortunately it doesn't have any USB in. I assume That I could use a USB micro rather than USB C if the USB hub has the input for it.

I am also assuming that you do not recommend using Bluetooth audio because of the delay in Bluetooth.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's correct-- Bluetooth audio has quite a bit of delay, so I don't think you'd successfully be able to use it with MIDI.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like your hub has the older USB A input, in which case you can just use the cable that came with the WARBL to plug into that. Or, here's an example of an inexpensive hub with a headphone jack (and both kinds of inputs) that I believe should work with WARBL:

https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-Multipo ... 10&sr=1-11

...and here's another one with a cable instead of just the plug:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Type-c-H ... 11&sr=1-33
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ThinkMethod

Post by ThinkMethod »

That first one looks like it will do the trick! Many thanks!