Leaking

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
Batmandolin

Leaking

Post by Batmandolin »

I’m sorry if this has already been posted. I searched for a bit but my adhd didn’t allow me to continue.

Has anyone had any luck modifying the rubber stopper on the bagpipe bag so that it doesn’t fall out? I’ve been trying to come up with ways to rig it so that it doesn’t slip but figured I’d reach out to the community first!

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Leaking

Post by admin »

Sorry, I didn’t realize that this was an issue—I usually force the stopper in by working my way around it with both thumbs a few times, pushing down until it’s almost fully seated. One thing that you might try is a bit of the silicone grease that came with the WARBL. Though it sounds counterintuitive, it might make it easier to set the stopper farther in the bottle so that it will be compressed more tightly.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Batmandolin

Post by Batmandolin »

Thanks for the suggestion, Andrew. I apologize that I did not see this until now! I did go to town (on the contact point) with duct tape, as that is reversible and I have a bagpipe cover so it is not visible. I may have to try the grease idea next! I have also been looking at getting creative with other bag options, as well.

Thanks, Andrew!
Gbisaga

Post by Gbisaga »

I’m surprised this is a problem. At first I was concerned but I shove the stopper in there and it seems to hold the air just fine. I have the clear, not blue water bottle, not sure if there is a difference there.

I’m curious what other bag options you’ve looked at. Not that I don’t like plastic water bottles under my arm, but I have thought something a little more aesthetic might not be bad. Have you looked at adapting bellows?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did look briefly at inexpensive highland bags and a few other options, but I haven't ever found anything very suitable. I agree that the water bottle isn't great and I'd like to find something more aesthetically pleasing that's not too much more expensive. Some people have used "Bota" bottles, and those work well too and look a little better. I'd love to hear about it if anyone finds anything else. I've heard from several people who have sewn covers for the bag, and I know if at least a few who have attached uilleann bags and bellows. I think there may be a few photos here on the forum.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Mikef

Alternative Bags

Post by Mikef »

I bought myself a cheap goose bag which has two stocks. I bought a few extra rubber stoppers of the same size that came with the WARBL. The Warbl can easily be inserted into one of the stocks with the same rubber stopper and tube that is used with the plastic bottle. The other stock can be blocked off with another rubber stopper with the hole blocked off. I also made a mouthpiece out of a stainless steel straw inserted into a rubber stopper and covered it with black duct tape. This arrangement works extremely well for me when playing with the Highland and Smallpipe settings on Celtic Sounds.