Whistle mouthpiece hole

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
Gbisaga

Whistle mouthpiece hole

Post by Gbisaga »

When I play with the whistle mouthpiece, I get out of breath. I realized the problem is a real whistle lets so much air escape, I can just breathe IN. Whereas with the warbl I have to breath both OUT and IN. I thought about making the air escape hole bigger and presumably adjusting the pressure in the app. But would this cause problems? It also strikes me that I might have to make the hole really big to even approach the behavior of the fipple. The mouthpiece isn’t that expensive, but no reason to ruin a bunch with experimenting and have to buy replacements.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Whistle mouthpiece hole

Post by admin »

The airflow with the mouthpiece is definitely a compromise, because some users have told me they prefer limited airflow and others would like to see more. I usually let some air escape around the mouthpiece when I'm playing, which takes a little practice but feels normal pretty quickly.

The little "nozzle" on the mouthpiece is tapered, so you can increase the airflow by using a razor blade to take a slice off the end of it. You may have to change the overblowing settings a bit if you do that. Increasing the airflow too much will reduce the sensitivity of the pressure sensor, but that shouldn't be an issue as long as it's not too extreme. Other than that, there's no problem with enlarging the hole to increase the airflow.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz