Baroque flute setting on appcordions

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
andyana

Baroque flute setting on appcordions

Post by andyana »

I have noticed that the ability to overblow and reach e3 in the third octave on appcordions only seems to work in concertina. I dont know why. Anyway the Warbl remains the only EWI with good enough breath octave control to actually play classical music.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Baroque flute setting on appcordions

Post by admin »

Thanks! The reason the third octave only works with the concertina sound is that the range of the instruments in that app is limited to the approximate range of the acoustic versions, so 2 octaves only for whistle, flute, and uilleann. It is too bad because it would be nice to have the extra range.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

andyana wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:08 am ... the Warbl remains the only EWI with good enough breath octave control to actually play classical music.
Not sure what you're getting at here... my EWI-USB has 5 octaves which is more than enough for classical music. Why would you want breath octave control when you've got keys to do that?

Using my Warbl's modified sax fingering I can get 3 full octaves g to g and that's without the need for overblowing.

Have I missed something?

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
andyana

Post by andyana »

normally with acoustic instruments the octave shifting is done with embouchure/breath control alone in the case of flutes and tin whistles or with the assistance of a vent either an open hole operated by the thumb or L index. The octave key is supplementary to breath/embouchure control.
In EWIs with thumb keys alone the shifting is not as fluent so it is more difficult to play music spanning several octaves, eg a complex arpeggio spanning 3 octaves.
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

Oh, I see where you're coming from. I guess we'll have to agree to differ - I find the octave keys very fast, smooth, and easy to use - but then I come from a clarinet/sax background, where octave keys are the norm. I have to say, however, that it's the MULTIPLE octave keys that are the most difficult aspect to master for players new to wind controllers, but for me it's now second nature.

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects