Bringing the bell sensor closer to the fingers and Bluetooth

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
Dov

Bringing the bell sensor closer to the fingers and Bluetooth

Post by Dov »

Hi Warble Folks,

I am about to evaluate different midi controllers and the Warbl is in my final round. I have two questions.

If I understand this correct you can use the bell sensor as an octave shift or a vibrato trigger. If I would be able to do this with my fingers it would be a big plus fur the Warbl in my evaluations. Is the bell sensor connected with a standard 3.5mm TRRS jack? Then it would be possible to use this:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/pro_snake_mc_4.htm
or this
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 3.5mm-trrs
and some scotch tape to bring it close to my right pinkie so that I can use it.

Do you think this is doable and practical?

Of course it would be a even bigger plus to be able to fire a configurable midi event to the synth or using it as an extra tone hole :D

Second question: Does anybody have any experience with Bluetooth Midi (via adapter) with the Warbl?

Thank you in advance,
Dov
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bringing the bell sensor closer to the fingers and Bluetooth

Post by admin »

Interesting question about the bell sensor--unfortunately, the plug on those cables is too thick to fit next to the USB connector on the WARBL. It would probably be possible to make a custom cable, or you may be able to find an adapter with a slim plug. It needs to be no wider than 5 mm to fit next to the USB plug. You could probably use a cable from some old earbuds (with mic) and attach a 3.5 mm jack. Other than the plug width issue, I believe that it would work fine.

A number of people have used various Bluetooth adapters with the WARBL-- here are some threads from the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55&p=693&hilit=yamaha#p693
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=295&p=1398&hilit=yamaha#p1398

In addition to the Yamaha adapter, the CME Uhost is a great option:
https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-uhost/
You can also pair it with their BUD Pro for super low latency.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
hsitz

Post by hsitz »

Dov wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:14 pm
Second question: Does anybody have any experience with Bluetooth Midi (via adapter) with the Warbl?
I just got the Warbl, haven't used a Bluetooth adapter with it yet, but I have used Yamaha UD-BT01 and CME adapters with other windsynths. They work fine, and they would work with the Warbl.

I would say the main issue with the Warbl is that it's so small and light and it has no battery, so you're going to be really upsetting ergonomics by adding the adapter and a portable charger/battery. I don't think I'd want to do it how I've done before by strapping or velcroing on. Instead, I think I'd just strap adapter w/battery onto my wrist or the back of my hand and run a short usb cable to the Warbl.

But for me that raises the question of: Why not just use a smartphone? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure it would work quite well to strap my iPhone to my wrist and run USB cable from there. The iPhone has (1) Bluetooth, (2) a battery, and (3) wide range of synths. I could use Bluetooth of the iPhone to send somewhere else if I want, but my iPhone has good synths and has a pretty decent speaker, plus I can run headphones from my iPhone if I want. So I may try that. I may even try with iPhone in my pocket and routing usb from there up to shoulder and along along arm, or maybe just straight out to the Warbl.

EDIT: Just tried it with iPhone in my back pocket running Swam Cello (much less expensive for iOS than desktop) and using USB cable that comes with Warbl. Works fine just letting cable naturally go out to Warbl. Sounds slightly strange to have sound coming from my back pocket so not sure how often I'd use it there unless I'm using headphones or sending Bluetooth to Macbook.
Dov

Post by Dov »

Thank you for your answers. It is good that bluetooth works
These thin cables are too hard to solder for me. Maybe you can provide some day a cable or an attachable sensor which goes to the side so that you can use it with your finger.
Another improvement would be to use this jack as a 3.5mm midi connector (I guess some hardware changes would need to be done for this). You would be able to send extra midi signals to the usb midi so you would be able to attach a pedal or something. The other way round would also be possible: Using this as a midi out so you could connect an older hardware synth. Just some ideas ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for these suggestions. I did consider trying to use the 3.5 mm jack for MIDI out, though I never considered MIDI in. Either would indeed require some hardware changes.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz