Boehm flute fingerings?

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
AlgoCompSynth

Boehm flute fingerings?

Post by AlgoCompSynth »

Is it possible to add fingerings for the standard Boehm concert flute? IIRC from my marching band days, the saxophone is close, but I only played the flute.
--
The Bermuda Triangle was a pentagon until two of its sides mysteriously disappeared.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Boehm flute fingerings?

Post by admin »

I believe I never added it because I wasn't sure if it would be useful without having any keys. I' only play simple-system flute (and poorly) so I don't know too much about it. Is there a link to a chart that you would recommend?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
AlgoCompSynth

Post by AlgoCompSynth »

This one seems the most common, although you'd probably want to stick with the basic one.

https://www.wfg.woodwind.org/flute/
--
The Bermuda Triangle was a pentagon until two of its sides mysteriously disappeared.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, thanks! It looks like it's mostly the same as the existing whistle/flute chart except for the third octave and a few other notes, e.g. the second-octave F#, is that correct? Is the third octave played only by overblowing, or is there a register key?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
AlgoCompSynth

Post by AlgoCompSynth »

Yes, the third octave is played by overblowing - there's no register key. That said, getting musical results from the third octave is a skill I never mastered - the WARBL might well be an improvement over my student grade band flute.
--
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, I understand. I haven't implemented three-register overblowing on the WARBL because it gets to be pretty complex, and unfortunately it would mean a major rewrite of the code. It's something I can continue to consider in the future, though.

Ignoring the third octave for now, it looks like the only difference from the existing whistle/flute chart would be the F3 in the second register, is that correct? Or are there accidentals that should be added using cross-fingerings and/or the thumb and Rh hole?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

If you really need 4 octaves range, you can do it easily using the tweak I did with my sax fingering.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=188

Essentially, putting your R3 down enables you to go below middle C (C3) down to G2. Lifting your L1 enables you to go up above the C4 to G4. That's two octaves without using the thumb key, or overblowing. When you add the thumb and overblowing you get 4 octaves. You can use the R3 and L1 in any octave.

The way I'd use it is:
L3 down - G2 to C#3
no thumb - C3 to C#4
with thumb - C4 to C#5
Thumb and overblow - C5 to C#6
R1 lift - C6 to G6

But you can use them in any combination.

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
andyana

Post by andyana »

I dont see how the warbl could emulate the Boehm flute - there are a fingerings based on 6 fingers and a thumb octave key. For Boehm you need C C# D# for RH4, G# for LH4, and B /Bflat for RTh, not to mention the trill keys. And all those extra notes would require actual physical keys, in addition to light sensors. The other issue is for the 3rd octave the Boehm flute uses totally different fingerings for the first 2 octaves.
That is not to say that a Boehm flute EWI is impossible to make, it would require a different chip able to drive more sensors, and a different physical design.
Andrew was very helpful and we came up with some higher fingerings to take the tin whistle chromatic instrument right up to e in the 3rd octave. As such it makes a very decent instrument to play baroque flute repertoire on. The only little thing that has to be fixed is the operation of the D#. I came up with a metal sleeve with a sprung key on it which clamps around the tube and opens the hole for RH4 (the key is normally closed). The RH4 rests on the key to balance the instrument and keeps it open, and it has no effect on the notes EXCEPT when D is played. But the code will need to be changed.
Regarding overblowing to third octave, it would be tricky programmatically to implement a 4-state (off, 1st -3rd octaves) machine with hysteresis built in. I think the current solution with baroque flute is 98% of the way there.
andyana

Post by andyana »

An extra comment - just like the EMEO, Boehm flute keywork could be implemented using Hall effect sensors mounted on a real instrument's keywork. The 14 or so sensors would be interpreted given the state of the breath sensor. To date there appears to be no satisfactory implementation of a transverse flute embouchure on a EWI, particularly with regards to octave shifting, although it is something I'm currently working on.