Any idea which amp to play

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
Mario

Any idea which amp to play

Post by Mario »

Hi folks,

as planning to join a band, i have to choose an amp.
No planning any concerts, just playing first together.
Has anybody ideas which amp to choose, using the uilleann tunes from the celtic app. Love these smooth bending tone options and crisp high tones.
Which amp do you recomment?

Cheers Mario from Germany
gonzoB

Re: Any idea which amp to play

Post by gonzoB »

Hi Mario.
I've tried lots of speaker/amps, and they all have their plusses and minuses. It's important to work out what features you need in an amp. Here are some suggestions:
- the ability to have multiple inputs (eg: for the Warbl, a backing track, a microphone, etc)
- the ability to accept a mono input (depends on what synth you are using)
- the ability to mix these inputs (varying volume of each separately)
- some tone control (treble, bass)
- battery operation (so you don't need to find a power point)
- possibly some reverb or chorus
- speaker diameter - if you're only going to play "whistle" type sounds (high frequencies) then you will get a way with a small diameter speaker, say 100 to 150mm. If you plan to play with backing tracks, or plan to use other sounds like tenor saxophone, trombone, then you'll need larger diameters to bring out the bass.
- How much amp power do you need? For a small group playing "whistle" sounds, 20 watts is probably ok. If you are playing for an audience, you need more.

I have a Roland Cube Street EX that I use for concert bands and busking - 4 inputs with mixer, treble and bass, reverb and chorus, battery, 50 watt, twin 200mm speakers with tweeters. It's a lovely unit, well made, utterly reliable, but it cost about A$800.

For a recorder group (8 players) I use a small Sony SRS-X2 20 watt with two 40mm speakers, internal battery, one input.

Hope this helps

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
Mario

Re: Any idea which amp to play

Post by Mario »

Hi Gonzo,

thank you so much. I dont need more than the warbl input.
Thought that guitar amps are modeling the sound too much, as i would prefer therefore a keyboard amp.
Not shure, if i could make the uilleann sound kind for richer in low tones and crispier in higher with am amp, which has more odeling options than another.

Will try your Roland next time when i am at music store in cologne.

Thank you very much!!!!

Mario