Warbl doesn't show up in Configuration Tool

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
mcdewey

Warbl doesn't show up in Configuration Tool

Post by mcdewey »

Hi Folks,

I just took my Warbl out of the box. Plugged in the WARBL end of the cable, plugged the USB-A side into a USB-A to USB-C adapter then into my MacBook Pro (13 inch, M2, 2022) running 14.3 Beta. The green LED at the bottom of the WARBL comes on continuously. When I start the configuration tool under Chrome, I get “WARBL firmware version: Unknown. WARBL not detected”

If I got into the System Information tool, I see the following:

USB Device Tree
USB 3.1 Bus
USB 3.1 Bus

When I expand the second of two I see the following:

ItsyBitsy 32u4 3V 8MHz:

Product ID: 0x800e
Vendor ID: 0x239a
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Manufacturer: Adafruit
Location ID: 0x00100000 / 1
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

When I plug into a iMac (3 different ones), an iPad, or an iPhone (iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro), the green light comes on solid and again the Configuration Tool can’t detect the WARBL.

Any hints?

Thanks!
mcdewey

Re: Warbl doesn't show up in Configuration Tool

Post by mcdewey »

Okay, I finally got it to work by updating the firmware. LED flashed then finally went out. Configuration Tool now sees the WARBL. I can only play one note regardless of the fingering, but it's a start! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My sincere apologies-- it sounds like I somehow forgot to install the firmware on that one before I shipped it. I'm glad you figured out the solution (installing the firmware :)). Next you will need to calibrate the sensors as described in the user manual and in this video:

https://youtu.be/R7Xl5Db8QDM?si=1tYtu45TbxinrJAY

I actually just put a newer version of the the firmware online which may work better with the latest batch of sensors that I've been using. If you calibrate the sensors and you find that some of them flicker on and off in the Configuration Tool when you cover them with your fingers, you may want to download the firmware again and reinstall it. The latest sensors from the manufacturer have slightly different specs and the new firmware has a fix for reading them differently. This is the new link (I also updated the link on the Documentation page):

https://warbl.xyz/WARBL_2.1b.ino.zip

My apologies once again for the hassle!!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
mcdewey

Post by mcdewey »

Not a problem. After 45 years as a software developer, I got pretty good at debugging recalcitrant software and hardware.

And with the new 2.1b firmware, the sensors work fine. I was running into problems with the notes flickering on and off.

I'm really looking forward to the Warbl. If nothing else, playing in tune is a big bonus. :D

Mike