trouble configuring the Warbl

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
jonnyrandall

trouble configuring the Warbl

Post by jonnyrandall »

Hi,

I've recently received my Warbl in the post and connected to the configuration tool, which I'm having a few issues with. Using the default settings, I can select the different vibrato and slide options on the interface but then they don't change the sound when I attempt those ornamentations on the warbl. I've tried sliding the finger sensing distance up and down but that's also not changing anything. I'm also getting no sound when I toggle to the tabs instrument 2 or 3.

I've tried connecting the Warbl to the following devices, but the issues remain the same:

MacBook Pro (2016) macOS Catalina v10.15.7 via the Chrome browser and a USB to USB-C adaptor;
iPhone 11 iOS v17.3.1 via the Warbl app and a USB to lightning adaptor;
iPad Pro (12.9 inch) iOS 15.6.1 via the Warbl app and a USB to lightning adaptor;

Currently my use of the controller is pretty limited, so any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks so much,

Jonny
admin
Site Admin

Re: trouble configuring the Warbl

Post by admin »

Hi Jonny,

It sounds like you are currently using the built-in sound in the Configuration Tool, which doesn't respond to pitchbend (slide and vibrato). Sorry for the confusion! That sound in the Config Tool is very basic (as you can tell) and is mostly just meant for simple testing purposes. For better sound you'll want to use a MIDI app like Celtic Sounds MIDI Module, which will work on your phone and iPad and will respond to pitch bend. There are many other apps available, but that one is great (and inexpensive) if you're looking for Celtic instrument sounds.

The likely reason you're not getting sound with the uilleann and GHB instruments in the Configuration Tool is that they are set up by default to use a bagpipe bag and so only respond to higher air pressure. To use those with the mouthpiece you can select "Calibrate at startup" and "Bag" in the "Note Trigger and Register Control" panel in the Configuration Tool.

Hopefully that helps but just let me know if you have any further questions.

-Andrew
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz