Sax Fingerings

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sax Fingerings

Post by admin »

Okay, I think I've got it. This version also adds the ability to send aftertouch messages (there's another thread, in the "feature requests" section where I'll describe that more fully).
Attachments
WARBL_1.7beta2.ino.hex
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

The O|OXO|XXOO alternate middle C# still isn't there. I'm not yet sure how to work the aftertouch data, so I haven't played with that yet.

Also, I notice that *|XXO|XXXO (either octave) produces B natural. I don't know if this is intentional, but it seems like not such a good idea. Better to leave that R3 hole available for vibrato on the G#.
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I wish we could separate all the talk of recorder fingerings from the Sax Fingerings thread as it is very confusing and hard to follow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry 2Dog, I don't think I can move all these now, but hopefully we're almost done with the recorder stuff.

Ubizmo, the C# seems to work for me, for example I can alternate back and forth between a C# and D by playing o xxo xxoo and then raising either R1 or R2 to change to the D. Maybe I attached the wrong version last time or for some reason yours didn't actually update? I did change xxo xxxo to G# in this attached version. so hopefully installing this one will fix both that and the C#. Thanks!
Attachments
WARBL_1.7beta2.ino.hex
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Out of curiosity, are you guys still using the sax fingering options in the beta software? I hope to release 1.7 before too long, and I need to decide which ones to include. Thanks!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I use them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

This thread has by far the most number of views at over 13k and I would like to determine if anybody else is using the fingerings. Also what apps are you using? Which sax config do you like?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would guess that the majority of thread views are actually just bots— I’ve only heard from a couple of people who are using the sax fingerings, but there certainly may be more I don’t know of.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

The fingerings know as Saxophone, Extended were originally designed for a range of (depending on your octave shift) from G2 to C#5 (29 note) full chromatic using over-blow to get the upper octave. I use my WARBL in bag mode and found it difficult to play in the upper octave so I had my setting using single register and over-blow turned off. I still had from G2 to C#4 (18 notes) so that was more range than I needed. I recently discovered that putting the bell sensor in and switching to Bell Register allowed me to get down to G1 and up to C#4 and it was much easier to play the full range (29 notes) but it required sitting as you have to keep the bell sensor against your leg when playing fro G1 to F#2. It also allowed alternate fingerings for G2 to C#3 as you could play them with or without the bell sensor. I stumbled on this by accident and it made the entire range usable. I am setting up for Chord playing with NaviChord on ios and can trigger chords on only the bell sensor range so I can play melody with all the other no-bell sensor notes over sustained chords. There is a learning curve to get used to playing like this but it is easier to get the lower octave. Have to recalibrate the bell sensor depending on the type of clothing you have on every once in a while. Slight problem with piano sounds when playing the bell sensor notes and the sound is not as clean with the bell sensor but string type sounds don't have a problem. I can still use piano on the melody notes and strings on the sustained chords using bell sensor notes.