Setting up WARBL

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
geezer

Setting up WARBL

Post by geezer »

If I buy the WARBL how much computer/electronic know how does one need to use it properly. I have been playing Bagpipes for years, but my computer skills are limited. Any suggestions.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Setting up WARBL

Post by admin »

Thanks for the interest! I plan to make a "Quickstart guide" soon, which will help answer that, but in a nutshell:

The easiest way to use it is with an iOS device (iPhone or iPad). To do that you'll need the Apple Camera Connection kit or similar adapter (there are less expensive ones, but I haven't tried them), to plug WARBL in. It just converts from USB to Lightning plug:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD82 ... -MD821AM/A

You'll also need a MIDI module app, like the Celtic Sounds MIDI Module, Roland Sound Canvas, Universal Piper, or a free app like Thumbjam or GarageBand. There are lots of app options with many different sounds.

Then, to use WARBL with the factory settings (tin whistle fingering), all you have to do is plug it in, open the app, and start playing. From there, you can customize the settings with the Configuration Tool, which I've tried to make easy to use, but I'm also here to answer questions about that. It lets you recalibrate the sensors, change the fingering pattern, and adjust lots of other settings. It's available as a free app for iOS.

Of course WARBL also works with a PC or Mac, or hardware MIDI modules as well.

Hopefully that helps, but let me know if I can clarify or elaborate!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz