Initial thoughts

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
Fiddlerwill

Initial thoughts

Post by Fiddlerwill »

Excellent device , delighted with it so far , I noticed another poster somewhere suggesting a larger sized model and I have to agree that as a piper a large model similar to a chanter would be an usefull addition to the device and would probably be fairly simple to produce and I’d certainly preorder one !!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Initial thoughts

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks! It sounds like there’s plenty of interest in a longer one, so it’s on my to-do list ;).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

A version based on a highland pipe chanter or long practice chanter would be my preferred choice as close to the real thing as possible but uilleann would also be about the same . I’d like to preorder one anyhow!!
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be a while before I have time to work on a longer version (so no preorders yet ;)), but I think something in the range of a highland chanter would make sense. That would get it closer to the length of an uilleann chanter, Irish flute, low whistle, etc., so I hopefully there would be fairly broad appeal. My goal with the current model was to make it as compact/portable as possible, and hopefully it will still have appeal for that reason and for whistle players, but I've heard from several pipers who have said they would prefer to be able to use piper's grip. When I have some time I'll post some drawings here in the forum to get feedback. The overall design would be the same, i.e. the same diameter tube, exactly the same software, etc.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

I use Piper’s grip on the bottom hand anyhow so as to get the birl. The lowest note is a bit tight and just opening that gap would improve my ability to birl but with a modified approach I’m getting there ok .
It’s super handy and I’m delighted with it . I’m used to carrying a bunch of different sized pipes from low g whistle to pipe chanters and practice chanters.
The addition of the mouthpiece above works well for me as it’s abit easier to play now .
Possible a Bb whistle size ?
The other thing I’ve found is that with the vibrato it’s the addition of the finger that causes the flattened pitch , so as I play half closed system , ie bottom hand down when playing top hand notes , I can’t use it as it flattens those top hand notes .
Would it be possible to have the removal of the finger to cause the flattened note rather than the addition ? As an alternative ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have the "custom" vibrato switch turned on? If that's turned off (it's only an option with whistle and uilleann fingering), then you should be able play in a closed position without affecting the tuning of the notes. In theory, if you trigger a note with some of your fingers down (say on the bottom hand, using a closed position), those fingers won't trigger vibrato unless you lift them and then lower them again. My reason for doing the vibrato that way was for specifically for allowing closed position playing. I may be misunderstanding your question, though...
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

Image Image

In fact if you look closely at the Blair chanter next to yours the body of yours could include the spacing from the Blair which is close to a long practice chanter . Your device although not having inbuilt sounds has a much bigger range and imo will be an instant classic . So it’s really just the spacing of the lower 2 notes that could be modified for us highland and border Piper’s !! The size could maybe stay the same ? Just rearrange the bottom 2 notes

Just to answer your question I play with the ghb setting , and you have understood correctly
Last edited by Fiddlerwill on Thu May 30, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

Here is a pastoral chanter and a uilleann chanter a birder chanter in a440 a ghb chanter and the Blair digi . So yes for the pastoral and uilleann players a larger model would be closer to the real thing .
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »