Self accompanying

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
2Dog

Self accompanying

Post by 2Dog »

Still have not even configured the WARBL and using out of the box set up. Finding that with my boda bag untethered gig rig I can play much faster (with less expression) than I can play with the AE or any other wind controller I have had. Don't have to worry about tonguing and lip control but with added arm movements that I am not use to. We are working on sax-like fingering and I am using fingering that I have never used before. It sounds a like musical gibberish but on a bag pipe app I could get away with that. No offense intended to you pipers. The fingerings were intended to parallel acoustic instruments and are limited in range and most do not have the entire chromatic scale. Still want to play with my finger tips and have to remind myself to use the pads. Worked well with drum kits and keys sounds as is. Going to try chords next using midi chords on Mac and Navichord and ChordPolyPad on Ipad. This can be a good self accompanying wind controller for a singer as your mouth is freed up with my set up. I have worked with the afore mentioned chord apps and you will most likely have to have a set up for each song. I have worked out a system for playing most chord types but the WARBL would need to have the capability of getting full chromatic in at least 6 octaves similar to the AE 10. Keep a little pressure on the boda bag and finger away. Flap your rt arm a little and note goes on and off (looks a little like I am doing an armpit fart) the way it is set up. This all can be changed and tweaked but I am astonished so far. I have gotten my money's worth in fun with this so far.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Self accompanying

Post by admin »

Thanks I'm glad you're enjoying it! With the bag, you may find that it makes a big difference adjusting the pressure settings, either by choosing "bag defaults" in the "Advanced" tab, or manually playing with the "threshold" and "multiplier" sliders. Also, using "learned" pressure instead of calibrating at startup (the default) is easier with a bag because it lets you set the note-on pressure exactly how you like it and it will be the same every time rather than changing depending on how much pressure you have on the bag when you plug in the device.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz