Wireless midi

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
2Dog

Wireless midi

Post by 2Dog »

I use wireless midi via PUC+ Bluetooth LE to iOS or Mac os and have found that the conf app or the web conf app needs to have a wired connection. As a work around I simply carry a lightning adapter with a short usb cable that has a female usb connection on the other end. You could do other things but for my set up it is the simplest solution. Using the conf app a lot during testing but when I set everything up correctly I doubt I will use it much. https://photos.app.goo.gl/Foddnnaf1koUtEwz8
admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireless midi

Post by admin »

I just realized that there may be a workaround for Bluetooth. Instead of using the WARBL app, you can use this free browser app that supports WEB MIDI and bluetooth:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/web-mid ... 46217?mt=8

The WARBL app is based on this app, but bluetooth isn't enabled in the WARBL app (yet).

Then, paste this address for the Config Tool in the address bar: https://warbl.xyz/configureForApp.html

Then, in the app settings, enable Sysex and set up your Bluetooth Connection. You'll also want to bookmark the page for next time.

I haven't tested this because I don't have a Bluetooth adapter, but I think it should work.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Thanks. I got sounds out of built in synth but nothing else. That’s the way your app is with wireless. This in iPad Pro. I could see messages in the little midi console window go on and off as I squeezed the bag and al midi lines in the display before I brought up the page. Tried my iPhone and I could’ve get built in synth to trigger. I made sure I could trigger midi sound apps on both. Also rebooted. Not sure it’s going to work as a Mobil solution unless you have cellular or WiFi. I guess I could either my iPhone plus or creat a hotspot to my iPad but still will need to be wired. Moving on to Mac now but I will have the WiFi issue there even if I get it to work.
Last edited by 2Dog on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It sounds like the app is receiving MIDI but not sending. It may be that WEB MIDI + Bluetooth isn’t really supported on iOS, I’m not sure and I don’t have a Bluetooth adapter to test it with, but I’ll research it. My thinking with the Config Tool was that it would be used with initial setup and not needed as much for everyday playing, so hopefully that lack of Bluetooth support won’t be too much of an issue.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One other thing you could try (maybe you already have) is connecting by Bluetooth to another app like GarageBand first, and then opening the WARBL app, as I believe once you set up a Bluetooth MIDI connection it is supposed to be shared with other apps. Again, I’m not sure how Web MIDI works in that regard, though.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Tried connecting like that and also opera and chrome but nothing seems to support midi correctly on iOS Wired solution to iPhone with cellar service is the portable work around. With all the electronics and wires hanging on me I hope I don’t get mistaken as a suicide bomber if I play in public.

Added another set up option using some scrap copper tubing for rigidity and a slight bend https://photos.app.goo.gl/8NH5NhSQJDhggJxf9 I can either put the PUC+ in my shirt pocket or pants pocket. Shirt is best as I want to monitor the light. I wanted to get my right hand closer to what a sax position would be but that leaves the left hand way lower than it normally is, but that’s OK It helped with sax fingering and stability. You could even play it in flute position to the side of your face
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been playing around with Bluetooth today, and I realized that the reason the Config Tool wasn't connecting was because I had it looking only for a device named "WARBL", and if you're using a Buetooth adapter of course it shows up as a different device. I removed the check for the name, and it works fine now, on iOS you just have to connect with another app first, like Garageband, Rolland Sound Canvas, or even the free WEB Midi Browser I mentioned above. Then if you open the WARBL app, it connects. The same is true of Celtic Sounds-- if you've connected to another app first, it works fine for me. You can close the other app after you're connected. I ask Michael if it would be possible to add the ability to connect within both of these apps.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

admin wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:13 pm removed the check for the name, and it works fine now, on iOS
Is that something I can change or is it in a firmware update? That is a biggie for me as now I don't have to change to wired mode to make change in config. app. I am doing that a lot now while I am testing apps. Once I get things set up I shouldn't need to use the config app as much.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I changed it in the Config Tool, so it should connect fine now, assuming you’ve connected with another app like GarageBand etc. first.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

After downloading it again found that it worked like a charm on ipad and iphone. That was another biggie for me.