Playing with the Yamaha UD-BT01 Bluetooth adapter

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Playing with the Yamaha UD-BT01 Bluetooth adapter

Post by admin »

That adapter does run on 3.3V (I didn't think to just look at the specs ;)) They also claim it only consumes 2 mA at 3.3V, which is awesome, especially compared to 50 mA Yamaha USB adapter in my first post. That would in theory give 8 hours playing time on that little lithium battery I showed earlier, or 12 hours on a NiMH AAA battery.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Are you thinking of just plugging in a third party 5 pin BTLe transmitter into an adapter? If so you would be backwards compatible and the old school would love you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes. Those 5 pin connectors are kinda big and heavy, though. I’ll continue pondering it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

Very interested, had the PUC with WiFi but they stopped supporting it :-( a small plug in adaptor would be awesome. Im still in great need of a longer chanter!!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I wonder if the PUC with WiFi was faster than the current PUC+ that uses Bluetooth? I've spent a lot of time research Bluetooth options, and I now think the best option for that would be a different WARBL with a Li-ion battery and a dedicated processor that includes Bluetooth. However, I do have reservations about Bluetooth MIDI in general, namely that it is somewhat slow. I think that PUC+ advertises 7.5 mS latency, but that's just the minimum for the Bluetooth packet, where realistic latency with iOS devices would be around 20 mS. In general it's thought that musicians can sense latency over around 10 mS, and I'd agree with that from my tests. I'm concerned that 20 mS would be annoying to bagpipers in particular.

I definitely want to make a longer WARBL version in 2020. That's a much easier proposition, and after the new year I'll try to make it a priority.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

Are these applicable? Bluetooth already licensed?

Dual Mode Bluetooth Audio+BLE-MIDI Bluetooth MIDI Module For Electronic Pianos

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3758813829

Bluetooth BLE5.0 BLE-MIDI Module Low-power Transmission Serial Output Module

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3758785864
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

The puc had a slight latency, i used it to good effect with a duel chanter system. One direct plug in one wifi.
On its own... thats why they went for the latest bluetooth .. but its discontinued even the bluetooth version. Just picked up a little yamaha to experiment with .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, I didn’t realize PUC+ has been discontinued too—that’s too bad.

Yes it could be possible to use some sort of pre-certified Bluetooth module, which makes FCC and CE certification somewhat easier. I believe you still have to get the Bluetooth license for the end product, though.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Just checked the Zivix site and the PUC + is available but is refurbished. I picked mine up used long ago on Reverb and still use.
Fiddlerwill

Post by Fiddlerwill »

yes i saw that. but i have a discount code because i bought the first puc bt then they stoped supporting it!!!
but i tried to buy the refurbished with the code, but no luck. upon enquiring they said they didnt make them anymore.....
as i got the yamaha for 25 or so, great price, seemed mad to buy a refurbished for 100. the only advantage the puc would give [apart from speed?] is the battery to power the chanter. but i will use a powerbank.