Learning a new instrument using WARBL

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
2Dog

Learning a new instrument using WARBL

Post by 2Dog »

I have a sax, clarinet and wind controller background and my goal is to emulate a whistle or pipes using WARBL. Being unfamiliar with those instrument I started out with the sax like fingering and still I am getting better everyday but not close to my wind controller proficiency. I also am using in bag so I could get use to using my arm for pressure control. Using guitar sound which is unforgiving when I don’t move my finger correctly so I get the most feed back when I don’t use proper technique. I have now gotten use to using the pads of my fingers as opposed to finger tips that I was accustomed to using for over 50 years.

Following comments in other threads I am now wondering if I should start learning the whistle on a acoustic or use the WARBL as I am not familiar with using pitch bend and finger vibratos like a whistle. I suspect I can do some of those expressions using the sax like fingerings but not all and the note placement and scale is obviously different.

Update 8/12/20
I watched the video that was posted on the WARBL site by Matt Willis. His site has tons of pipe videos and he also reviews electronics. I messaged him to see if he would be interested in a patron page dedicated to learning pipes and whistles using the WARBL. The idea would be to have videos starting from the very basics of playing pipes and whistles and how those techniques can be used with the WARBL and apps and software. An experience pipe of whistle player would already know how to play but I am not that guy. I know how to play the WARBL with non-pipe or whistle fingerings but not how to effectively sound like a pipe or whistle using those fingerings and dedicated apps and software.