New WARBL, new questions

Feel free to post any broad WARBL questions or comments here.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New WARBL, new questions

Post by admin »

That’s sort of what I figured. It’s generally not pretty when I try to play a high D on a whistle;)
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

I sometimes use that high D just as a kind of popup ornament, but that's about it.

At the moment I'm finding that, since picking up the instrument tonight, the volume is very low, regardless of which app I use. Must be some iPad setting but I don't know what it is. Too tired to tinker tonight.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The only thing I can think of is that you may either have “Send pressure as CC” or “Send pressure as velocity” turned on. Those are the two ways that WARBL can control volume.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

admin wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:26 am The only thing I can think of is that you may either have “Send pressure as CC” or “Send pressure as velocity” turned on. Those are the two ways that WARBL can control volume.
Aha, it was the velocity thing. I'm not sure how that got switched on, but the volume has returned to normal. Thank you.

Now that you've called my attention to it, I've just experimented with the "send pressure as CC" to try breath vibrato. It's not that great, but maybe I can adjust the settings to make it louder so I can hear it better. I do notice that the octave break threshold is lower on ThumbJam than on CelticSounds, for some reason. To get the lowest notes on ThumbJam I hardly have to blow at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, that app shouldn't matter, as they're responding to the same notes sent by WARBL. As an experiment, you may be able to run both apps at the same time to see how they respond. You can also play with the "threshold" slider to change how hard you need to blow to change registers.

By mapping the pressure to CC in various ways you should be able to make breath vibrato as responsive as you'd like, i.e. you can map a small pressure range to a large volume range, or vice versa. Of course it's complicated by overblowing, if you're using that as well. You can also try "expression", which instead of volume will vary pitch, and it takes overblowing into effect, in other words for every note in each register it looks at the center pressure and varies the pitch based on whether you're above or below that pressure, similar to how on a real whistle, recorder, etc. you can fine-tune the pitch with the breath.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz