WARBL on a Chrome Book?

Use this forum to ask questions about procedures for connecting with MIDI host devices and apps.
admin
Site Admin

Re: WARBL on a Chrome Book?

Post by admin »

Hmmm, I can get my hands on a Chromebook tomorrow test this. Sorry, it’s been so long that I forget the details. If you’re hearing the Config Tool sounds you’ll want to turn that off. It might even be possible that WARBL can’t connect to both simultaneously on a Chromebook? That’s the case with Windows. I’ll test that too.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
tellparksy

Post by tellparksy »

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I don't have a Chrome book. I'm actually having this problem on my new Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

You are hearing the sound from the config screen? That probably means it is still open. Close all your apps. and try FS again.

Also, have you selected the Warbl as a midi input? Button top right.

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
tellparksy

Post by tellparksy »

I'll test both of those options tonight. Thank you Gonzo.
tellparksy

Post by tellparksy »

I'm so happy it worked! Thank you! The only thing that is not working is the SFX. I move all the settings around but I only hear the flute sf2. Any suggestions? Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, I was just testing this and hadn’t seen the replies yet. The SFX doesn’t work for me either. That’s a newer addition to FluidSynth, and there may be something I need to change in the SoundFont to allow the SFX to work. I’ll look into it—some reverb would be nice. By the way, for those who haven’t seen it, there’s a bagpipe SF2 here with GHB and small pipe sounds: https://warbl.xyz/soundfonts/bagpipes-kcb.sf2
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe I have the reverb and chorus working now, if anyone wants to test it. It apparently had to be enabled within the SoundFont itself. Now the controls in FluidSynth should work. Here's the updated version: https://warbl.xyz/soundfonts/WARBL_whistle2.sf2
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
tellparksy

Post by tellparksy »

Thanks Andrew!!!
tellparksy

Post by tellparksy »

Hi Andrew and Gonzo. This is so strange. Last night, after connecting the warbl, I made sure to close the configuration tool and also made sure to connect the midi port to the Mowrey Stringed Instruments WARBL in Fluid Synth, along with choosing WARBL_whistle2.sf2 for Channel 1. The flute sounded beautifully and with the sound fx too! I was so excited! Now today, I followed the same instructions, but I can't seem to get any sound at all. One thing I have noticed is that even though I choose sf2 on Channel 1, whenever I blow I not only see the green light flicker next to Channel 1 but
the green light also flickers next to Channel 7 even though it shows no preset. Below is a screenshot showing this...
Attachments
Screenshot_20220617-134253_FluidSynth MIDI.jpg
Screenshot_20220617-134253_FluidSynth MIDI.jpg (101.44 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suspect that the light next to channel 7 is flickering because WARBL uses channel 7 to communicate with the Configuration Tool. If you unplug the WARBL, plug it back in, and reconnect FluidSynth to it, I believe the light next to channel 1 will stop flickering (it's because you probably connected to the Configuration Tool after plugging the WARBL in--if you do that the WARBL will keep sending messages on that channel even if you've close the Config Tool).

Now, I don't think any of that relates to why you aren't getting sound. If the light is flickering next to channel 1, I assume FluidSynth is receiving the MIDI messages from the WARBL. I assume you've checked all the normal culprits like the volume being turned down on your phone. If there also a volume (gain?) setting within FluidSyth. I would also try a different SoundFont like the Chaos 1 that you already have downloaded, to see if it could be an issue with the SoundFont.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz