Getting sound out of iPhones without headphone jacks

Use this forum to ask questions about procedures for connecting with MIDI host devices and apps.
Britisa

Re: Getting sound out of iPhones without headphone jacks

Post by Britisa »

Hi there,
Thank you for your response. Funnily enough, the link you provide for the lightning camera/headphone/charger adaptor is the one I had spotted on Amazon.fr. It would be interesting to get your feedback on it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My pleasure -- I ordered that adapter and should have it tomorrow, so I'll let you how it works.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I received the fore-mentioned adapter today, and it works great with all the iOS devices we have floating around the house:

ipad Air with iOS 12.3.1
iPhone 6s with 12.4.1
iPad Mini 4 with 13.3.1

Note that all of these have headphone jacks built in as well, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work just as well with devices without the headphone jack. There's no noticeable latency with WARBL, and you can also charge your device and power WARBL by plugging in another Lightning cable if desired. It's nice that this is compact and has the Lightning plug built in, so you don't need the Apple camera adapter, and the price is certainly right! Here's the link again:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Camera-Adapt ... 5ONhWaKlbQ

Now hopefully we can find something like this for Android!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This one looks like it could potentially work with Android, but I don't own an Android to test it with:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Headphon ... 12503d51cb

In the comments someone mentioned using it with a MIDI controller on an iPad Pro (which has a USB C connector like Androids), so presumable the latency is okay.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's an updated link to the iOS adapter that has worked well for me (the links on Amazon change, and this same adapter is sold under several brand names):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z61HMCG/re ... NrPXRydWU=
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
charly52

Post by charly52 »

Is there a solution to use the Lightning headphones together with warbl on newer iphones without earphone jacks?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It’s a good question—I haven’t yet seen an adapter that would do the trick, but I’ll report back if I hear of anything. There might be a Lightning splitter that will give you an extra port, so you could plug the regular camera adapter into one and headphones in the other.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
charly52

Post by charly52 »

I think the research for a solution is urgent, because even newer iPads dont have a earphone connector. So the warbl will loose the connectivity to all ios devices. And especially the iPads are excellent devices to use the warbl.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I agree- I think the easiest route at the moment is to use headphones with the 3.5mm plug and one of the adapters mentioned above, but at some point many people will probably want to be able to use Lightning headphones as well.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz