3 OCTAVES WHEN PLAYING

Use this forum to ask questions or make comments about using the WARBL Configuration Tool.
DRKCOSTAS

3 OCTAVES WHEN PLAYING

Post by DRKCOSTAS »

I WANT TO ASK WHEN CONFIGURING TWO OF THE BUTTONS TO SHIFT ONE OCTAVE (UP) AND ARE PRESSED BOTH OR DURING THE ACTION OF ONE SUCH BUTTON WHEN THE HIGH PRESSURE IS USED IN THE MOUTHPIECE , WILL HAVE AS A RESULT TO SHIFT MORE THAN ONE OCTAVE UP (OR DOWN) IN OTHER WORDS IF EVENTUALLY AT A PARTICULAR KEY OF THE TIN WHSITLE THE OVER ALL RANGE MAY BE MORE THAN 2 OCTAVES. (I HAVE ORDERED A WARBL BUT NOT RECEIVED IT YET SO I CANNOT EXPERIMENT FOR THE MOMENT).
admin
Site Admin

Re: 3 OCTAVES WHEN PLAYING

Post by admin »

Yes, either of those options will allow you to play a third octave, although it might be difficult to press two buttons at once with your thumb, so pressing one button while overblowing is probably the easiest way to play the third octave.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
DRKCOSTAS

Post by DRKCOSTAS »

Thank you!
DRKCOSTAS

Post by DRKCOSTAS »

One more question please:
I see in the configuration that the left hand thump hole-button can be used as register key to shift up an octave. This is a more natural position of course compared to buttons 1 2 3. But would this thump registrer function simulteneously with the overblow to give 3 octaves? Or so as to have 3 octaves one must necessarily utilise one of he buttons 1,2,3?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With the tin whistle fingering you currently have to choose either overblowing or the thumb to control the register. Some other fingering patterns like one of the new saxophone patterns can use both simultaneously to play three octaves. At one point I added that ability to tin whistle as well, but there was some concern that players would find it annoying. I may be able to add it back in as an option. I'll look into that.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
DRKCOSTAS

Post by DRKCOSTAS »

Thank you again! Yes I believe you could add it back for tin whistles too, as even tin whsitles use a bit more than 2 octaves and a digital tin whistle is supposed to have a range at least that of a hardware tin whistle. On the other hand I understand as you explained before that even for tin whistles right now you can set the left hand thump (or overblowing) for a shift up of the octave and the upper of the buttons 1,2,3 as right hand thump for a shift of the octave down, thus giving in total 3 octaves. And a right hand thump for an octave shift down is an ergonomic position too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree, it would be nice to have. I think it may need to be optional, as I wouldn't want to force whistle players to have the thumb hole covered all the time when they don't want a higher octave. I'll think about the best way to add it to the interface.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Dollhead

Post by Dollhead »

Hello.
I just put an order in there for one of these amazing things.

If the blower is sensitive enough for a third octave I would try go with that.
When I play whistle I -- depending on the whistle -- can get a little bit into the 3rd octave, usually to 3rd D, then with alternative fingering high E and F# (really what I'm getting is overblowing into harmonics like what one does with a brass instrument.

If the blower is sensitive enough I would definitely enjoy a "fictional" 3rd octave whistle, Where blowing even harder goes up another 8ve!!

I would also probably reflect, a little bit, the natural dynamic of a whistle say from lowest possible note, velocity at 66% and highest possible 130%
It'd "feel wrong" overblowing an instrument to all hell, and only getting a polite, normal sounding high note! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Many thanks for the order, and the suggestions. I haven't pursued the three-octave overblowing because it turns out to be fairly complex to add and the range of the pressure sensor may limit overblowing range. I also wasn't sure how many people would use it. However, with "custom fingering" option in the latest firmware, there is the ability to use both overblowing and the thumb to control the register simultaneously, giving you a three-octave range.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz