ANY SCALE AND ANY TUNING ON THE OPTICAL HOLES

Use this forum to ask questions or make comments about using the WARBL Configuration Tool.
2Dog

Re: ANY SCALE AND ANY TUNING ON THE OPTICAL HOLES

Post by 2Dog »

DRKCOSTAS wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:55 am

Modern standards of digital musical instruments (e.g. Artiphone a digital guitar fretboard without strings ) allow in customization and configuration to correspond any note to any of the musical buttons (e.g. Artiphone allows in the configuration software to correspond any note not only to any string but also to any fret of the fretboard!). Even companies thar produce hardware harmonicas like Seydel and Hohner allow customers to design their own tunings for the produced harware harmonica. Of course the same is with midi controllers harmonicas like LEKHOLM DM48. Thus the economic choice for WARBL with a maximum degrees of freedom for the user would be to allow in the configuration to correspond any note of any scale on the optical holes. As storage volume on the hardware would simply be one fingering system only, changing each time. Thus e.g, we might create harmonic -minor scale tunings of the WARBLE (very common chromatic scale in Eastern cultures ) , or augmented scale tunings (all steps major thirds) or dimished scales (all steps minor 3rds) etc. This obviously would allow to play easily chord arpeggios , sequentially on the holes etc. Compared to the configuration possibilities of other digital wind midi controllers that are 3 or 4 times more expensive, this small freedom in the configuration would put WARBL ahead in possibilities.
I would consider the the ability to change tunings on a diatonic Harmonica a "hack". The instrument was designed a certain way but humans found a way to get other notes that were missing using bending techniques or over blowing certain holes. Then others found that they could tune the reeds to get the bent notes easier by customizing tuning the harp reeds for certain music like Irish music. The WARBL can already achieve a full chromatic scale if you use a fingering that is familiar to an actual acoustic instrument that can achieve the same result. I don't see the attraction to giving it the capability to create a fingering system that no one is familiar with, unless you into large learning curve.
gonzoB

Re: ANY SCALE AND ANY TUNING ON THE OPTICAL HOLES

Post by gonzoB »

I guess this is the default tuning thread...

Funny how you see things that you expect to see. Coming from instruments that have a "C" hole, I expected the "key" drop-down box to set the key for the C hole. Of course, if you're a tin-whistle aficionado, you'd be calling the whistle that has the same pitch as a C recorder a "D" whistle, therefore the "scale" box should show "D" for that tuning. Which, of course, it does.

I was wondering why my Warbl wasn't in tune. Doh!

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects