Only 5 notes will play on Celtic Sounds app - followed configuration instructions

Use this forum to ask questions or make comments about using the WARBL Configuration Tool.
eldon

Only 5 notes will play on Celtic Sounds app - followed configuration instructions

Post by eldon »

Hello

I am using my WARBL with an IPAD. I have bought the Celtic Sounds App.

I can only get the top 5 notes to play on the Celtic Sounds App.

I have followed the Configuration App instructions precisely. The lights are all registering when I am on the Configuration app, but that doesn't translate to when I go into Celtic Sounds Uilleann Pipe App. Also the bell sensor isn't registering nor the second octave with the bag pressure. I followed your setup advice for that also.

Also how do you get to listen to notes on the Configuration app? I cannot find that function.

I have invested in an Ipad and the adapter to make the WARBL perform as I had no success on my laptop. I am disheartened at the moment. I have spent hours trying to get it to work the way it is supposed to.

Thanks

Eldon
admin
Site Admin

Re: Only 5 notes will play on Celtic Sounds app - followed configuration instructions

Post by admin »

Hi Eldon,

I'm sorry to hear about these issues you're having. Usually if you're only hearing some of the notes from the Celtic Sounds app it means that the key is set incorrectly in either the Configuration Tool or Celtic Sounds. Because it uses samples from real instruments, Celtic Sounds won't play notes that are out of the range of the real instrument, so if notes are transposed by along the way then they may be interpreted as being "out of range". To test this you can temporarily switch to the concertina sound in Celtic Sounds, as it has a much broader range. If you get all the correct notes with the concertina sound, it's very likely to be an incorrect key setting. Are you using all of the default settings for the uilleann fingering in the Configuration Tool? The key should be set there to the default key of D. In Celtic Sounds, the second slider from the bottom ("MIDI transpose semitones") should be set to 0. Those sliders are easy to move accidentally. If those two settings are already correct, feel free to send me screenshots from both apps, and I'll take a look to see if I see anything else amiss.

To listen to notes on the WARBL app (Configuration Tool), click the little loudspeaker icon in the upper left corner. The sound is very basic and doesn't respond to pitchbend messages, so I usually don't recommend using it except for basic debugging/setup.

When you say that the bell sensor isn't registering, does the drawing of the bell sensor in the Configuration Tool change color when you plug in the sensor? If so, does it light up in blue when you cover it? If the former works but not the latter, it may need to be calibrated. If that doesn't work there's a chance that the sensor is faulty. I apologize if that's the case, and I'll send a new one out right away.

The issue with the second octave with bag pressure may be related to the key setting that I mentioned above, or there may be another setting in the Configuration Tool that will need to be adjusted. Again, if you could send me a screenshot of your settings I'm happy to take a look at that.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
eldon

Re: Only 5 notes will play on Celtic Sounds app - followed configuration instructions

Post by eldon »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that sorry I was mistaken. It is working perfectly fine on the Celtic Sounds App, it is the Uilleann - Irish Bagpipes App where I am experiencing the problem with only the top 5 notes registering. It is in the same key as configured on the Configuration App.

Can you advise please?

Thanks

Eldon
eldon

Post by eldon »

The bag pressure is activating the second octave, but I am only able to play the top 5 notes on the chanter.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, okay. Does that uilleann app have a “lowest chanter MIDI note” setting? If so, could you try setting that to 62? If I remember correctly that should do the trick.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
eldon

Post by eldon »

Thanks Andrew,

It's working as it should now. Many thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great! My pleasure!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz