Would it be possible to add custom inH20 for certain notes?

Use this forum to ask questions or make comments about using the WARBL Configuration Tool.
SheepeyDarkness

Would it be possible to add custom inH20 for certain notes?

Post by SheepeyDarkness »

Switching to the second octave feels extremely awkward for me. I going into the second octave for D and E is fine, doing so for G, A, and B take a lot more air than a D whistle would require.

I played a reel with the audio off while recording my pressure on the graph. Whenever I went into the second octave I went above 1.5 inH20 for most of the notes. I've tried to adjust the advanced settings. Unfortunately it doesn't help much.

Being able to customize the pressure levels required for each note in the second register would be great ( or even in the lower one as well ). While the slider system does help a lot of people, I don't find it too intuitive for myself and haven't found a combination that would work.

I feel this feature would be a great one to be implemented. Also perhaps an auto set-up. It asks you to play a scale three times, records the amount of air pressure you use for each note, and then averages it out and sets that to be the value for each note?

https://prnt.sc/Q2wEdivV-pGJ
admin
Site Admin

Re: Would it be possible to add custom inH20 for certain notes?

Post by admin »

Thanks for this suggestion-- I can entertain the idea of adding custom thresholds for the registers, though I suspect it might be a bit challenging because it would need to be different for the various fingering charts and so could get complex pretty quickly.

If the main problem you're having is with the higher notes in the scale, the "multiplier" setting should in theory fix that. For example, if I leave the settings at their defaults (for the vented mouthpiece) and just lower the "multiplier" setting to 1, then the lower notes in the scale overblow at around 0.5 inH2O and the highest one (D, assuming the tin fingering) overblows at 0.8 inH2O. That seems to be less than it takes on a real tin whistle. The challenge, of course, is that it becomes a little more difficult to control the transitions in the vicinity of the middle D and high E if the multiplier is set that low.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz