WARBL not detected

Use this forum to ask questions or make comments about using the WARBL Configuration Tool.
Iris

WARBL not detected

Post by Iris »

My WARBL flashes when I first plug it into my iPad or iPhone but no sound, it used to work fine. I believe I’ve eliminated the actual WARBL, adapter, or cable. At first the Configuration Tool will sometimes show a 2.1 firmware version and I’ll be connected but still no sound. I quickly lose that connection, and the Connect to WARBL doesn’t connect me either. MIDI Wrench shows me as offline. My computer skills are very limited so I’m not sure where to go next and would very much appreciate any help.
admin
Site Admin

Re: WARBL not detected

Post by admin »

Hi Iris,

If you wiggle the various connections, does the LED on the WARBL ever flash again? That would indicate a poor connection. One thing you try would be to connect to a PC or Mac instead, just to verify that the issue isn't with the adapter.

What MIDI app are you using for the sound? It's possible that some setting in that app got changed accidentally (in some apps like Celtic Sounds it is easy to do). However, if MIDI Wrench shows you as offline and isn't receiving any MIDI messages, that does seem like a connection issue.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Iris

Post by Iris »

Hi Andrew,

yes, when I wiggle the connection to the warbl the LED does flash and sometimes flashes and fades, I should’ve tested that. Same when connected to my mac. Both WARBLs are doing exactly the same thing which seems really weird. I can’t get any sound, even when I wiggle the connection.

Otherwise, on Celtic Sounds my numbers are 3, 29, 27, 1, 0, 2.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Actually, I think the cable was bad.
Iris

Post by Iris »

WARBL still isn’t detected.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting-- if you have two WARBLs and the same thing recently started happening on both, this would seem to point toward the cable. Did it start happening on both WARBLs at the same time?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Iris

Post by Iris »

One cable was bad but another I have, which I’ve used elsewhere, still doesn’t connect on Celtic Sounds or the Configuration Tool (I plug in before opening the app). They did both start cutting out at the same time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a long shot, but you don’t happen to live very close the ocean, do you? The one time I’ve seen this was when the USB port on the WARBL had become corroded by salty air.

In any case, I’m happy to replace both WARBLs. Unfortunately I’m away from home at the moment so it will take me a bit of time. Would you mind sending me an email at info(at)warbl.xyz?

Thanks!
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just in case anyone else runs into this issue:

Some inexpensive USB cables are for charging only and don’t transmit data, so won’t work with the WARBL. To be sure that a cable will work with the WARBL, the description should say something like “for charging and data”.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz