Tabor pipe configuration?

Use this forum to ask questions or make comments about using the WARBL Configuration Tool.
sekarenggal

Tabor pipe configuration?

Post by sekarenggal »

I am still excitedly waiting for delivery of my WARBL, but just thinking about what it might be capable of when it reaches these shores....

Is it possible to configure it as a practice tabor pipe? Would you use the bottom two holes, and button 1 for the thumb? Or would it be better to hold it higher up, and use the actual thumb hole, and the second and third front holes? Has anyone tried this?

Here is a tabor pipe fingering chart, in case you are unfamiliar with this instrument....

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/File:En ... rchart.png

With baited breath, for now,
Simon
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tabor pipe configuration?

Post by admin »

Hi Simon,

It might be possible to add fingering for the tabor pipe—the only potential problem I see is the need to overblow several registers, and currently it’s only possible to overblow one register. Let me think for a little bit about how difficult it would be to change that.

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like your WARBL has cleared customs so will hopefully arrive shortly.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I forgot to mention, I think it would make the most sense to use the top holes and the thumb sensor, as that gives you better control than trying to use a button.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
sekarenggal

Post by sekarenggal »

Thanks so much. We could of course lose the 4 fundamental notes, which are not normally used, as the useful range of a tabor pipe is no greater than a whistle...
sekarenggal

Post by sekarenggal »

Using top holes and thumb sensor makes sense.

Perhaps one could rig up an extended blowing tube, to approximate the feel and balance of a tabor pipe
sekarenggal

Post by sekarenggal »

Having reread the documentation, I now understand that you can only overblow once, which would only give you two tetrachords, ie limiting you to one octave of notes, which is not so useful for tabor pipe practice.

Would it be possible to make the instrument respond to harder blowing, to overblow again?

I received a letter from UK customs asking for £, which I have now paid online, so should be receiving my WARBL today or tomorrow! Still with baited breath.....

Simon
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

sekarenggal wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:42 pm Perhaps one could rig up an extended blowing tube, to approximate the feel and balance of a tabor pipe
Tried that with some scrap copper tubing for rigidity and a slight bend. Worked fine. https://photos.app.goo.gl/8NH5NhSQJDhggJxf9 I can either put the PUC+ in my shirt pocket or pants pocket. Shirt is best as I want to monitor the light. I wanted to get my right hand closer to what a sax position would be but that leaves the left hand way lower than it normally is, but that’s OK It helped with sax fingering and stability. You could even play it in flute position to the side of your face
Last edited by 2Dog on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It’s currently only possible to overblow one register, but I’m looking into the possibility of more than one. It would a be a major change so I can’t promise when I’d do it, but I’m in the mulling stage at the moment. It would definitely be necessary for using a tabor pipe fingering,
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
sekarenggal

Post by sekarenggal »

Thank you. Hope adding another register proves feasible - it would be brilliant!