Vibrato problem

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
Grulu

Vibrato problem

Post by Grulu »

Hi,
I noticed that when i want to do vibrato on F sound using D hole, my Warbl plays D sound instead vibrato. Vibrato works on all other holes when there is at least one hole space between them. Is it normal or some firmware issue ? I am using Tin whistle fingering chart.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Vibrato problem

Post by admin »

I believe that what's happening is that when you lower the D finger all the way it plays an F natural, because there is a cross-fingering pattern for that note. You'll see that in the fingering chart here:

https://warbl.xyz/WARBL%20Fingering%20Charts.pdf

You can still play vibrato by lowering your finger partway, but if you lower it all the way it will play the F natural. Another alternative if you're using the standard tin whistle chart is that you can play the vibrato with your fourth finger. If you're using the "chromatic" chart, lowering the 4th finger all the way will again play an F natural because it flattens any note by on semitone.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Grulu

Post by Grulu »

Ok, now i understand :) Thank you for explaining that to me.
Stewpidasso

Post by Stewpidasso »

Similar issue with uilleann fingering. After I play vibrato on A and return to an A without vibrato, I get a flat A until I play a gracenote or lift bottom hand. I’m interested if anyone has figured out a fix for this? Cheers!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have you tried the "custom vibrato"? With uilleann it's preferable because the standard vibrato doesn't work quite as well with closed fingering patterns. The custom vibrato uses a more limited number of tone holes but was designed by Michael Eskin to be more like real uilleann pipes and doesn't have that issue with notes unexpectedly getting "stuck" flattened.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Stewpidasso

Post by Stewpidasso »

I’ll play around with the custom settings. Thanks for getting back to me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My pleasure! Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz