R4 hole not aligned

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
fhenryco

R4 hole not aligned

Post by fhenryco »

I'v started to explore warbl and it's configuration tool and really enjoying it.
My only suggestion would be for a design in which the R4 hole would not be aligned but positionned rather like in a soprano recorder : much easier access and confort for the smaller fourth finger ! I understand that for a pure tin whistle player this is not important, but to allow the most simple universal fingering (with R4 used all the time to flatten all notes) i think it's really essential.

best
admin
Site Admin

Re: R4 hole not aligned

Post by admin »

Thanks for this suggestion-- a few other people have suggested this too. One issue is that I would have to make left- and right-handed versions to do this, but also it gets challenging to tilt the sensors to the side because of the way that they sit flat on the PCB. I'll certainly ponder whether this might be a possibility in the future, though.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
fhenryco

Post by fhenryco »

I understand the difficulty but i'm convinced that such modification would increase significantly the number of your customers in particular if the R4 hole is not only unligned but also a little closer to R3. An extra L4 hole as well would be perfect... then that would be a similar holes design as for the sylphyo.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The R4 hole actually used to be closer to the others, but I moved it because pipers had requested that it be farther away. It’s currently a compromise between GHB, uilleann, and tin whistle spacing, which I would estimate covers about 80% of WARBL users. Unfortunately recorder falls into that edge case where the R4 finger is used but it’s not as far way from the other holes. In the future I may be able to consider a few different versions to meet the needs of a wider variety of players.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
elg

Post by elg »

Is there any chance that an attachment using fiber optics or mirrors could wrap around the WARB body to extend the R4 sensor to the side, left or right? Even if it lost resolution and could detect only touch/no-touch it would be very helpful. In the current location it is very hard to reach. This may be especially true for me, since my pinky is short relative to my two middle fingers, ending at the last joint of my ring finger. The palmistry pages say this means I'm shy :lol: . Right.

Ed
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I suspect it would be tricky because the sensor is so close to the exterior of the instrument. However, someone suggested making a key (3d printed, possibly?), which could make the hole closer to the others and offset it simultaneously. It would likely reverse the action of the tonehole, e.g. pressing the key would open the hole, but that could theoretically be reversed in the software. It might not be too hard to rig something up for testing purposes?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
elg

Post by elg »

That sounds very workable. A little rocker lever much like a sax valve but with a mirror or whatever reflectivity is needed. If the reflective surface would tilt, perhaps by being on a wedge of foam, then it would go from reflecting to the sensor to reflecting away from it.

I'll try to have a go at it. It's either that or lengthen my right pinky.