wifi warbl

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
fhenryco

Re: wifi warbl

Post by fhenryco »

A diy extension for the warbl with
- Yamaha UD-BT01
- The 5000mAh USB battery indeed switches off after a few seconds but can be kept on with 50 Ohms ( 2x 100 Ohms in parralel) "leakage" resistor on its second USB output.
- The wave ring(genki instrument) to test many midi effects with the warble
- A 3d printed support
Attachments
warbl1.jpeg
warbl1.jpeg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
warbl2.jpeg
warbl2.jpeg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Last edited by fhenryco on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, impressive setup! The Wave ring is a great idea, too.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

Wouldn't the wave ring work better at the opposite end of the Warbl? I thought they used accelerometers and if the device is close to the "fixed" end (i.e. the end in your mouth) you won't be able to get much movement from it. Or have I got that wrong?

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
fhenryco

Post by fhenryco »

It's just that i did not really start to test it thoroughly. I plan to do that end of july.
What you are saying is only true for the variations of acceleration in time : typically vibrato obtained by shaking the instrument. For tilt, pan, and roll it will react exactly in the same way redardless of its position on the warbl as soon as it is attached the way it is on the photos...because only the orientation of the wave matters then. For vibrato indeed the acceleration modulations will have greater amplitude at the bottom end (because this is where there is more motion).
But then for vibrato i'm not sure that i need to enhance the sensitivity in another way than just tuning the curves in the wave config tool (softwave).
On another hand having the wave closer to the mouth is may be a little more convenient for quickly pushing it's central button if a drift of the neutral position were to be noticed or to reset the neutral position after the player has turned to the left or right: everything is fine for roll and tilt so far, for PAN (magnetometer?) not sure that there is not a slight drift...and that would be unexpected because accelerometers and magnetometers are now extremely low cost, common, and effective devices used in all drone quadcopters.

I bought the expansive wave ring because i 'm curious what it can bring to the playing of the warbl. In particular for vibrato, portamento...So far i checked that the two bluetooth devices work well in parallel (Wave and Yamaha UD-BT01)
If at the end it turns out that it is really valuable, i'm wondering wether a diy version of the wave at a small fraction of the price is possible: not so sure because the packaging in such a low volume is probably not so easy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you're okay with a slightly larger form factor you could use an Arduino 33 BLE, which is capable of Bluetooth MIDI and has an onboard IMU. There would be some programming involved, of course, and you'd need an external power supply. It costs $25, so a tenth the cost of the Wave ring :).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz