headphone jack

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
andyana

headphone jack

Post by andyana »

Hi just a thought - could the code be edited to use the bell sensor optionally as a headphone jack? 8-)
2Dog

Re: headphone jack

Post by 2Dog »

There is no sound coming from the WARBL. Why would you need a headphone jack?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I understand the question, it's whether the microcontroller could output audio to the headphone jack. In theory it might be able to create low-quality, 8-bit audio, but I'm not sure if there would be enough processor power left after everything else that it does. If you could send an audio signal to the headphone jack you'd then need a custom headphone adapter, because I used a non-standard pinout on the jack that includes a 3V power source for the bell sensor, so you'd want to avoid connecting that to headphones. The adapter would also need a smoothing filter to convert the digital PWM signal to something close to an analog signal. So, in theory it might be possible, but it would take quite a bit or work for poor-quality audio, unfortunately. It's' a good question, though! One of my goals for the ultimate WARBL version in distant future :) is to have onboard audio.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
andyana

Post by andyana »

yes I would like to be able to play with just earpods and the warbl. Maybe utilising a soundchip such as the VS1000D audio codec IC.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes-- that would be a great addition. The main obstacle is adding a battery and the associated certifications and shipping complications. I'd like to make it happen at some point, though.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
andyana

Post by andyana »

more room for added circuitry and backup battery in a larger warbl - say 20mm ID tube. Also easier to implement offset hole for RH4 (D#) Maybe the battery could be installed by the user after delivery?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have considered that—a challenge might be finding a standard lithium battery with the correct protection circuit that is available everywhere, but it’s a possibility.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz