Note-on with velocity = 0

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
gonzoB

Note-on with velocity = 0

Post by gonzoB »

Hi Andrew.

I was just fiddling around with the breath settings on my Warbl, and I discovered that with the velocity map set to curve 2, noteons with low pressure are sent with a velocity=0 (i.e. a note-off). If you blow hard the noteon works properly, but if you start at low pressure and build then the note never sounds. The same occurs on curve 1 with the minimum breath pressure set to non-zero.

My typical breath settings for CC=2 are min 1.0 , max 5.0

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
admin
Site Admin

Re: Note-on with velocity = 0

Post by admin »

Yes, I believe that is because the pressure range is mapped to a smaller output range (0-127), so low pressures get mapped to 0. I believe they originally mapped to 1 but someone requested that they be 0. I can see your point that if you start with a velocity of 0 then a note never plays if try to ramp up from there. I may be able to change it so that the minimum value is 1 unless the pressure is actually 0. Or, maybe I should leave it as is for everything but velocity and have the minimum for velocity be 1?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

Hmm. I think it might have been me that requested that!

Anyway, putting a minimum of 1 on velocity makes sense, as vel=0 means that the note-on is interpreted as a note-off, which is something completely different!

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks-- I agree. It doesn't seem to make sense to send a velocity of 0. I'm going to be releasing a new firmware version in the coming weeks, and I'll make this change to it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to confirm, this is fixed in v.2.1.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz