Idea for different slide behavior

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
jimhanks

Idea for different slide behavior

Post by jimhanks »

Here's an idea that I'm not sure is entirely necessary, but I noticed my intuition about how slide works turned out to be wrong. Reading the manual again, it works exactly as advertised
The way slide works is that lowering the finger over the highest uncovered hole will gradually flatten the current note down to the next lower note on the scale
The highest uncovered hole bit is what threw me off. Where that gets into trouble is with forked or "cross" fingerings, which my NAF mode has a lot of. For example, take the normal octave note where just "L3" is down: 00X0000. The highest uncovered hole is "L1" and that controls the slide action. My intuition was trying to tell me to use "R1". I'm not sure what to call that hole - "hole just below the lowest covered hole"? (Not exclusive to the NAF fingering though. Notes like the C natural whistle note 0XX000 behave the same.)

Of course, changing the slide hole would affect which holes are available for vibrato.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Idea for different slide behavior

Post by admin »

Interesting idea—I guess my reason for doing it that way was that I assumed that the highest uncovered hole on a real instrument would have the greatest effect on pitch and would gradually flatten down to the next note on the scale. I’m not sure I ever tested that thoroughly on a real instrument, though. I’ll play around with a whistle a bit and see. It might be possible to choose either option.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jimhanks

Re: Idea for different slide behavior

Post by jimhanks »

Yeah, I don't know how real instruments behave in this regard. FWIW, the Sylphyo claims to work per my intuition:
Key-bend (BETA)

Allow note keys to behave like recorder tone holes with respect to pitch-bend: the amount of skin in contact with the bottommost key determines whether the note is bend upwards, and by which amount (to do so, you can either slide your finger on the key, or raise it slightly).
but I still haven't played with that much at all