Sending Aftertouch from expression

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
jimhanks

Sending Aftertouch from expression

Post by jimhanks »

Here's another option that would be "nice to have" at some point, but not super critical. In addition to sending expression as a CC value, it would be helpful for certain synths to send Aftertouch (or "channel pressure") messages instead. There are several iOS synths in particular that can be programmed for Aftertouch but not CC, e.g. Animoog, Factory, Model 15, iSEM, others I'm sure.

There are work arounds like MIDI mappers to translate between, say, CC2 and AF, but having an option for the WARBL to output AF directly would be more convenient.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sending Aftertouch from expression

Post by admin »

Thanks Jim, I'll add this to my list.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I have been using Midflow on ios to convert cc7 to Channel Pressure (After Touch). You first set up the Midiflow app and then its just a matter of opening it before you open the app that requires After Touch. I agree that it would be nice if the WARBL could send AT as it would one less app that you need.
da3v

Post by da3v »

I too would love to see AT as an option. Pretty please?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I’ll see what I can do, since you asked so nicely ;).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
da3v

Post by da3v »

For those of you using stream byter or similar: I lost a day in search of this string:
#breath to aftertouch
BX 02 = DX X3

It would still be super nice to have this as a native option, pretty, pretty please with sugar and whatever else would help on top?
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

sorry about that - yeah, I have that working in StreamByter too but I had to ask the dev:
http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/680/b ... p-function
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been working on this, and I should have something to test later this week.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, the attached version of the firmware adds aftertouch (channel pressure). Once you install it and connect to the Configuration Tool, there will be another switch below the "Send Pressure as CC" one that is labeled "Send Pressure as Aftertouch. It uses the same sliders as the CC and velocity switches. You can select the channel, and the "CC" field is ignored.

Hopefully this works for you, but let me know if it's not as you expected. This version also adds two saxophone fingering charts and some changes to the recorder fingering, as discussed in the lengthy thread on saxophone fingerings.
Attachments
WARBL_1.7beta2.ino.hex
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jimhanks

Post by jimhanks »

Wooo! Yes! That is cool AF! 8-) (AF stands for Aftertouch of course. what did you think I meant? :lol: )

I did a quick video this morning that I'll try to get edited down and posted in a few days.

Thanks Andrew!

Jim