Custom fingering: no MIDI note from the thumb hole

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
skepsys

Custom fingering: no MIDI note from the thumb hole

Post by skepsys »

First, thanks for an interesting device into a collection of MIDI-controllers. I have one issue though.

I configured and saved a custom fingering (for Belarusian bagpipe). Everything works as set and expected, except the thumb hole which does not produce any MIDI note.

Here is the screenshot of my config:
Clip2net_230724151809.png
Clip2net_230724151809.png (98.69 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
I tried several MIDI-note values, and it was tested in Chrome on Windows laptop and on Android phone with the same results. The thumb hole config is being saved (I opened the config tool on another device and the config was there). All other notes from this custom fingering are working, but both built-in MIDI console and MIDI software recieves no MIDI note from the thumb hole.

At the same time, the thumb hole is detected correctly in the Calibration section of the congiguration tool and moreover it works fine with predefined presets like GHB, Gaita, Sackpipa etc. And when in the same fingering I enabled vibrato for the thumb hole in "Vibrato and Slide" section, MIDI console started to show PB messages from the thumb hole, but still no MIDI note.

So it looks like a bug on reproducing a note for the thumb hole in custom fingerings.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom fingering: no MIDI note from the thumb hole

Post by admin »

You're absolutely right-- there was a bug in my logic that was preventing the thumb hole from doing anything. This must not be used very much, because you're the first to notice it in the few years that the custom fingering has been available :). I've attached a new version of the firmware that should have this fixed. It's version 2.2, which I hope to release soon, and also has a few additional fingering charts and a couple of other minor fixes. This video (and the User Manual) shows how to update the firmware: https://youtu.be/EZlVC2u9PRs

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Attachments
warbl_firmware_2.2.ino.zip
(26.47 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
skepsys

Post by skepsys »

Thanks for the quick answer! Will try the new firmware.

I guess no one noticed just because you've included the most popular bagpipes in the config already. However, I still can think of some single-chanter piping traditions with pretty active communities, that are not yet there. Like Belarusian/Lithunian, Bulgarian, Polish, Bohemian, Estonian bagpipes just to name a few. Are there any plans on extending the presets list? If anything, I can help you with some fingerings. What in general is the workflow for adding new presets?
skepsys

Post by skepsys »

As for the firmware upgrade. After several attempts this is the maximum results I managed to get. But the version after this still remains old, 2.1 :(
Clip2net_230724202545.png
Clip2net_230724202545.png (48.68 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, someone else had this issue recently, and the QMK developers told me that this is a Windows issue involving not detecting the correct USB port. They recommended that we keep trying and that eventually Windows would detect the correct port and proceed with the upload. Do you mind trying a few more times to see if it works? I'll contact the developers again to tell them we're still seeing this issue.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
skepsys

Post by skepsys »

So I plugged WARBL into a new USB port, were it was not plugged in previously. Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
QMK is running, Auto-Flash enabled.

Here is what happens on each attempt of double-clicking programmator button on WARBL

1. Green pulsating light. Nothing in QMK + system Windows notification: "Setting up a device. We're setting up 'Adafruit ItsyBit'"
Clip2net_230725135709.png
Clip2net_230725135709.png (25.57 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
2, 3, 4, 5 etc. Green pulsating light. QMK:
Caterina device connected (usbser): Microsoft USB Serial Device (COM8) (239A:000D:0001) []
Attempting to flash, please don't remove device
Flash complete
Caterina device disconnected (usbser): Microsoft USB Serial Device (COM8) (239A:000D:0001) []
Clip2net_230725135627.png
Clip2net_230725135627.png (58.89 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
So the results are pretty consistent, though useless :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks-- it doesn't look like it's going to work does it :)? I'm going to forward this to the developers to see if they have any other suggestions.

One thing you might try is instead of selecting "Aut0-Flash", double-click the WARBL button first, and then click "Flash". I don't think that will work, but there's a chance...

By the way, are you on Windows 11?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In the meantime, you could try another app to program the WARBL if you'd like. A good alternative for Windows is AVRDudess:

https://blog.zakkemble.net/avrdudess-a- ... =avrdudess

When you open the app, make sure "ATMega32u4" is selected for the MCU (top right) and then from the "Programmer" menu select "Atmel AppNote AVR109 Bootloader". Then, in the "Flash" section open the WARBL firmware hex file, as you did with QMK Toolbox.

Now, double-click the WARBL programming button. In the "Port" menu, a new COM port should appear (something like COM4, for example). Select that in the menu. Now, you can either click "Go" in the "Flash" menu, or click "Program" down at the bottom. If the LED on the WARBL stops flashing you'll have to double-click the button again to put it back into programming mode first.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

AVRDudess.jpg
AVRDudess.jpg (185.8 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
skepsys

Post by skepsys »

// double-click the WARBL button first, and then click "Flash"
This does not work indeed, since "Flash" button is just disabled. And nothing happens in QMK when I'm clicking warbl button when auto flash is unchecked.

// By the way, are you on Windows 11?
Nope, as mentioned above, it is Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2

// A good alternative for Windows is AVRDudess
Amazing, that worked! =) It was a bit tricky, since the port could be checked only when the light is blinking, and the same is actual for Go/Programm button. So both operations should be done fast while the light is on. But it was not too hard.
Clip2net_230725172004.png
Clip2net_230725172004.png (88.53 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
So I got v2.2 now and the thumb hole issue has gone!
Thanks a lot for your help and patience =)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Phew, great! Sorry for all the hassle. Hopefully the issue with with QMK Toolbox will get resolved as it's a bit simpler to use (when it works) and is available for Mac as well.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz