Whistle/Flute cross-fingering

Use this forum to report bugs or request new features for WARBL, including fingering chart suggestions.
Phil53

Whistle/Flute cross-fingering

Post by Phil53 »

Bb - Is a XOXXXX Bb possible without conflicting with anything?
C - I think OXOXXX is a fairly common flute fingering but gives a C#. Though that is forcing me to practice OXXOOO !

Is the intention for the first and second octave fingerings to be the same? I guess flutes are too variable too support differences between the octaves.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Whistle/Flute cross-fingering

Post by admin »

Those changes sound fine to me. I didn't include them in the 1.5 version that I released today, but I've attached a 1.6 Beta version that contains them (as well as all the 1.5 additions), if you like to try it.

Yes, the fingering is the same for both registers, because the register control is completely separate from the fingering chart. This may be somewhat unintuitive for some players who are used to using different fingering in the second register, but hopefully it's not too difficult to adapt to.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Attachments
WARBL_1.6_Beta_1.ino.hex
(58.69 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Phil53

Post by Phil53 »

Thanks very much. Those work.

I had several unsuccessful attempts at the firmware upgrade (Windows 7). In the end it just worked. Probably my mistakes but will try to provide more details if useful.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, thanks! Some details would be great. Often it’s a matter of getting the timing of the double-click right, but maybe there was something else going on. I’m happy to look into it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Phil53

Post by Phil53 »

With the chromatic whistle fingering all holes closed is giving me silence in the low octave rather than the semitone below the bottom note. Overblowing does give a note.That low note would be handy for some tunes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It’s probably because whatever MIDI app you’re using doesn’t extend down that far. For example in the Celtic Sounds app, the tin whistle and uilleann pipes sounds don’t go any lower than a D, presumably because the real instruments don’t either.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe a solution would be to change the WARBL key to Eb in the Configuration Tool, and then set Celtic Sounds to transpose down one semitone. That should have you playing in the same key but will give you the C#.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Phil53

Post by Phil53 »

Thanks. Yes that's it, Celtic Sounds whistle and flute don't go down below the bottom D. They don't seem utter sounds down there at all, so the transposing workround doesn't work. No problem - I will just practice in Eb or as a concertina.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It works for me, using the "Transpose semitones" slider towards the top in Celtic Sounds, not the "MIDI Transpose Semitones" slider towards the bottom. You can use that top slider to make it sound up to an octave lower or higher than normal, so you can make the whistle sound like a low D whistle, for example. If you move that slider down one semitone and then in the Configuration Tool change the key to Eb, it should give you that low C#.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Phil53

Post by Phil53 »

Thanks, yes, sorry, my mistake. I used the wrong slider. I was away from the device when I saw Michael's youtube clip in Bb and realised that I must have done something wrong. It works fine.

(edit - typo fixed)
Last edited by Phil53 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.