WARBL Firmware v. 2.1 released

Information about software updates and other news.
admin
Site Admin

WARBL Firmware v. 2.1 released

Post by admin »

Today I am releasing version 2.1 of the WARBL Firmware. The complete list of changes and additions is available here:

https://github.com/amowry/warbl/blob/ma ... angelog.md

The most important changes are those related to overblowing: The jump/drop behavior is much improved and there is now hysteresis, meaning that if desired it’s easier to stay in the second register once there, similar to the way in which an acoustic wind instrument behaves. Combined, these changes allow for cleaner playing with fewer unwanted notes if you are using overblowing.

There is also now a “Transient note filter”, which eliminates very short unwanted notes by adding a small delay to the toneholes. This is useful for using notation software or sounds that are unforgiving of unwanted notes. Because this filter works by adding a delay, it is best to set it as low as possible. It is turned off by default.

Many thanks to Louis Barman for the above additions! They are described in more detail in the new version of the User Manual and the documentation in the Configuration Tool.

Another change you will notice is that instead of a “Vented” switch, there are now options for “Bag” vs. “Breath”. The functionality is the same, but the new labels make more sense because the old ones were holdovers from the old “vented” vs. “closed” mouthpiece.

If you are upgrading from version 2.0, your settings will be saved except for minor changes to the “advanced” overblowing settings. If you are upgrading from earlier firmware versions, your settings will be reset to the “factory” defaults.

To install the new firmware, you’ll need to install the QMK Toolbox app on either Windows or Mac. The process is outlined in the user manual, and in this video:

https://youtu.be/EZlVC2u9PRs

Important: If you are installing QMK Toolbox on Windows, do not choose the option to install drivers for your device.

QMK Toolbox and the newest firmware are available here:

https://warbl.xyz/documentation.html

Please email me if you have any questions about installing the firmware.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Mikef

Re: WARBL Firmware v. 2.1 released

Post by Mikef »

Hi Andrew,
I cannot get this firmware to update my WARBL on my IPad. Can you help me at all?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure! This update is for the firmware on the WARBL itself, and to install it you need to use either a Windows PC or a Mac. You'll install the QMK Toolbox app, which then uploads the firmware to the WARBL. The video in the link above will guide you through the process, and there is a section in the User Manual about it. Just let me know if you have any questions along the way.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Mikef

Post by Mikef »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your quick reply. For some reason I thought you could update the firmware on IPad but clearly you can’t. I updated it on windows and it worked fine.
Thanks for your help.
Mike