Shire Whistle- IOS

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
2Dog

Shire Whistle- IOS

Post by 2Dog »

Not without it’s challenge and learning curve, I am thinking I have found my WARBL friendly go to app. What attracts me is the sound and the ornaments. It was designed for keyboards and I am using it with WARBL Sax fingerings in bag mode. It has midi mapping so I plan on using that feature with my IK Blueboard and vol pedals for vol and vibrato. I am not a whistle player so I am not sure a whistleblower would like it as there is what is called “instrument bias” when it comes to soft sounds. This uses samples. There is a MAC version which I used in the past but I am trying to only use IOS with the WARBL.

The sound is very low compared to their other apps and my experience with other apps on iOS so I am using AUM to host and added vol boost with its gain option. This app is a game changer for me as I consider it an instrument as opposed to a sound app like the Jubal Flute as it has more expression capabilities with the ornaments and requires proper technique to control.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Shire Whistle- IOS

Post by admin »

Cool, thanks! I tried it a while and and didn’t like it as well as Celtic Sounds, but I admittedly didn’t spend much time with it. The amount over control over MIDI options is a nice benefit.

You probably know this, but the default velocity that WARBL sends is 64, but with apps that aren’t loud enough you can force WARBL to send 127 instead by mapping pressure to velocity, and then lowering input pressure all the way and increasing output velocity all the way, so any pressure will be mapped to 127.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is there any way to turn off the ornaments? I guess they were the main thing I didn’t like about it.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

I believe you can turn off the ornaments in the Mac version but you can only change the sensitivity in the ios version. I can understand that a pipe or whistle player would get annoyed with the ornaments but as a non whistle player I like them if I can learn to control them. I get the feeling that they tax the cpu in the ipad also as they have gone flaky and I had to reset. Mainly happens when I have backing tracks playing and other instruments loaded up.

When I first started to explore hosting SW with AUM I couldn't get the ornaments to trigger. I wrote to the developer as I thought this was a bug. Still waiting for a response but I have since tried using the 3 Inter-App Audio versions and the ornaments worked on them. Bottom line, if you don't want ornaments, use the Audio Unit Extension version.

Don't think the sound issue can be corrected by the controller as it is like that with my midi keyboard and others have noticed when they reviewed the app. Sound Test Room https://youtu.be/F9TEykJX16E also mentions it in their video. I can't find any documentation or videos that cover the techniques of real time play so we are pretty much on our own to figure it out. I have learned some new things just by exploring. Didn't know you could boost the vol in AUM and I learned that by the above video. I am what is known as a MIDIOT.

UPDATE: I had tried the app on several I phones (stand alone) and two different IPad minis (stand alone and using AUM as the host) and it wasn’t until I set it up in AUM on my iPad Pro I started having such note when I set up AUM midi routing. As it turned out the SW was by default was set up for all midi inputs so whe I set the AUM routing it created a problem. Also noticed that I had to set only the inter-App Audio component SW audio to midi input AUM as it would not fire up with the just the AUM routing whereas the other two marked SW instrument IAA did with SW set to none for midi input. I would expect the may be an issue for other apps when hosting in AUM.

Along with stuck note I experienced the ornaments going crazy so this was the cause of that also.

Update: Played for hours using my ipad pro with SW IAA and controlled the ornaments with a nudge on my bag. Sounded good to me. I dhad youtube in the background playing backing tracks. I then loaded up Jubal Flute and transposed it down and octave. Played that for half hour with no issues. Then I loaded up Noise and then I got a stuck note. Think I found another problem with running too many CPU hungry apps.