GeoSWAM

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
2Dog

GeoSWAM

Post by 2Dog »

Having great success controlling the SWAM sounds on ios using the GeoShred host and other wind controllers. You need to send Channel Pressure on Ch 2. I tried the WARBL but it did not work properly with After Touch. Is there anyway to send Channel Pressure? Apparently the app can tell the difference between AT and CP.
admin
Site Admin

Re: GeoSWAM

Post by admin »

Actually, if you use the "Aftertouch" switch in the Configuration Tool, WARBL technically sends channel pressure (0xD0). I called it aftertouch because it seemed like a more common term, but maybe that's misleading. I've used SWAM instruments on PC and on iOS (beta testing the new standalone SWAM apps) and they work fine with WARBL, but I wasn't able to get GeoShred to work either. I believe it requires the new MDE (polyphonic expression), which I haven't implemented in WARBL because it didn't really seem necessary for a wind controller, but I may be able to look into it. I do believe the standalone SWAM modules will be released in the coming few months. That's interesting that other wind controllers are working for you, though. Which ones are they?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

My EWI SOLO has a CP and AT setting but only the CP setting works properly. GeoSWAM is different from the desktop version. The key is to send CP out on CH 2. My AE10 only has AT and it works great, go figure. To me the interface when SWAM is hosted within GeoShred was much easier to get a great sound than it was on the desktop. Apparently there seems to be no standards followed when it comes to AT and CP.

I suspect the ios SWAM you tested has a different interface and midi map than the GeoSWAM.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry, I just saw this. The standalone SWAM app actually responds normally to WARBL using all the default settings, I don’t need to send an expression CC like I do with the desktop version. The finger vibrato pitchbend responds normally.

Jesse Chappell, who makes Thumbjam, has been doing a lot of work with the WARBL firmware, and I hope to roll some or all of his improvements into the next release. I believe one of his changes is enabling MPE, so it should work with GeoShred once those changes have been made.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Working with SWAM Beta. If you can send cc1 while sending breath cont somehow with the bag you maybe able to. add auto vibrato at the end of the note if you squeeze like overblown.
mojozart

Post by mojozart »

On iOS there are two different SWAM integrations and I've needed a different WARBL config in each case.

For standalone SWAM apps, the default breath controller or default wind controller presets work OK in combination with a tweak or two in the WARBL config. This is covered on YouTube.

Then there is something like GeoTenorSax in GeoShred, which is SWAM integrated with GeoShred. As the pop-dialog says when a misconfiguration is detected, this is designed for an MPE controller. At a minimum, you need to change WARBL's Note Channel to 2, corresponding to GeoShred's MPE Channel Mode where channel 1 is reserved for global messages.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Correct-- you'll see my reply to your other comment, but I believe that for GeoShred or others that require an MPE controller you have to change the WARBL to channel 2 or higher and turn on Channel Pressure.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jgcannon

Post by jgcannon »

I'm just getting around to trying geoswam. I follow changing to send midi on channel 2+ and sending channel pressure, and that works. I'm also using overblowing to jump the octave, and geoswam 6 also has an option to do that, which I haven't tried.

Are there changes you're making either in warbl setting or in geoshread or the geoswam settings to optimize how this is working?

I tried modifying some of the channel pressure mappings for curve and input pressure and output ranges in warbl expression, but am not sure what to try. I'm changing a little and testing a little to deduce the impact, but haven't wrapped my head around it yet. Any suggestions or explanations you'd recommend?

Not sure if there's a way to tie the channel pressure to drive a specific expression characteristic in the geoswam instrument settings or the geoshread app settings?

TIA for any advice.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure about this because I use the standalone SWAM instruments instead of GeoShred. With the standalone instruments it's possible to map CC messages to a variety of characteristics, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is possible in GeoShred.

Using overblowing along with breath expression can be tricky because it means that the mapped CC messages will always be higher in the second register, so you will have control over expression in the first register but minimal control in the second register. That may be okay, but if you'd like to have complete control over dynamics in the second register as well it may be easier to use another method of controlling the register, like the thumb.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
jgcannon

Post by jgcannon »

Thanks for that suggestion, Andrew. That makes sense.

I did view Jim Hanks' warbl settings video focused on one register and he contrasted that with a video you did with overblowing settings, and I could see that difference. Yes, another skill to learn, but I see how that would provide better breath control expression in both registers.

Again, thank you. Step by step and I'm starting to understand. Nice how you built this flexibility into Warbl, and to send expression in multiple ways!