Best Uilleann pipes for WARBL?

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
Narzog

Best Uilleann pipes for WARBL?

Post by Narzog »

Hey guys. Just bought my WARBL 5 minutes ago. I'm trying to figure out what the best app to use is, for the most realistic pipe playing experience. I am most interested in Uilleann pipes, but having some others included to try isnt bad.

Programs I know of-
Studio Piper
Universal Piper
Celtic Winds

I think there may have been another that I knew worked with midi chanters but I forgot. I'm open to other options. Does anyone know which of these is the most realistic? Celtic winds is cheaper but if the other two are better than I can deal with paying more. I dont actually have my own ipad but I cna use my moms until I get my own if it was needed.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Best Uilleann pipes for WARBL?

Post by admin »

Thanks for the purchase! I’ll ship in the morning.

Someone else may chime in, but I personally think that Celtic Sounds is most realistic, so combined with the low cost that might be a good first option to try. Universal Piper has more options in terms of custom tuning, etc., but it also more a bit difficult to set up if you’re just getting started.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

Thanks for the reply. Universal piper has a trial and Celtic Sounds is only $5 so I'll try both. Is just so weird when a $5 app is better than the 70 euro one. But hey if its really that good I can't complain haha. Bonus question. Is Celtic sounds uilleann pipes the same as appcordions other "uilleann" app? Or is there a reason to get both. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to clarify, I believe Universal Piper is only $12 US for the full "Bagpipe Lab" version on iOS, and $4 US for the "pocket" iPhone version that has more limited features. The WIndows and Mac version are more expensive.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Celtic Sounds is better, I just happen to like the sound of the uilleann pipes in it. Universal Piper is much more feature-rich and is also a great app. But, given the low price of Celtic Sounds and the simplicity, it seems like a good "starter" app, and then you could always try Universal Piper if you find you need its additional features. UP has several other bagpipe sounds, while Celtic Sounds also has whistle, flute, concertina, and accordion.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz