Android OS

Questions discussions about the things that actually make the sound, i.e. MIDI apps, synthesizers, soft synths, etc.
aliska34

Android OS

Post by aliska34 »

OK so not sure what the correct terms are for what I am looking for so please bear with me.

What I want: to be able to go anywhere with just my phone, headphones, cable and warbl and play using my phone.
What I think I need: information about what app to download that will interpret WARBL's midi cc2 info and also produce noise using that info (synths, flutes, pipes, w.e im not mega picky)

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Android OS

Post by admin »

Most people on Android are using the FluidSynth app. It plays SoundFonts, which allows it to produce the sounds of many different instruments.

Here’s FluidSynth:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... i&hl=en_US

I believe when you run FluidSynth it prompts you to download and install some basic SoundFonts. If you’re interested in a tin whistle SoundFont, I made one available here:

https://warbl.xyz/soundfonts/WARBL_whistle1.sf2
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

The FluidSynth app is good, however, it doesn't run on all android systems. The developer is aware of this and, I believe, is currently working on a new version. It runs on my Moto-G phone, but not on two Samsung devices I have.

The general midi soundfont that it prompts you to download is OK, however it is not set to use CC2 to control volume. You will have to either a) set the WARBL breath to CC11 (expression), or b) tweak the soundfont to accept CC2. The same applies to Andrew's (excellent) tin whistle soundfont.

I chose to do b) because I have a number of other MIDI wind controllers all of which use CC2. If you want to tweak the soundfont, the program Polyphone is excellent, but you need to know what you're doing. I'm happy to help

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I didn’t realize that FluidSynth doesn’t work on all Androids. That’s too bad. Hopefully there will indeed be an upgrade.

I think a lot of WARBL users don’t need to worry about using a CC to control volume, as most use it for tin whistle or bagpipes, where there’s not much in the way of dynamics :). But yes, it’s fairly easy to set map pressure to CC11 in the Configuration Tool if desired.
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
aliska34

Post by aliska34 »

Hey thank you for these tip-offs! How do I change it to accept cc2 breath control? Also, how can I set up the WARBL using my android phone? I use the NAF setting. Lastly, what are soundfonts? are they just samples or is it something else?

Thanks!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, SoundFonts are just sets of samples in a widely accepted format, so you can load them into lots of different apps. Here's a bit of information about them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundFont ... %20support.

I haven't used FluidSynth much, but if it accepts CC11 (breath control), then it would probably be easiest to set WARBL up to send CC11 rather than modifying the SoundFont to accept CC2. To do that, you go into the Configuration Tool and turn on the "Send Pressure as CC" switch as shown in the attached screenshot. You'd then want to play with the sliders some to get the results you're expecting in terms of volume control.

To set up WARBL using your phone, you'd open Chrome and enter the address of the Configuration Tool: https://warbl.xyz/configure.html It should connect to the WARBL and allow you to change the settings. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question?
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
PictishWolf

Post by PictishWolf »

This seems possibly related to a couple of questions I have. It took me hours of trial and error to figure out a combination of settings that worked OK with FluidSynth on my Oneplus Android phone, but it does work. Unfortunately, the output is not very loud, even with the phone volume set to max. Sometimes I forget to turn it back down after practicing, so when I go to listen to music later, I get a painful reminder. :oops: Would setting it to CC11 make it so that I wouldn't need the volume at max to hear what I'm playing?

Also, I have an app that I'm using to try to learn music theory (Complete Music Reading Trainer) that I tried with FluidSynth running. I got excited for a second because it did 'see' the midi input from the WARBL, but then was disappointed because it rapidly detects multiple notes, when to my ears, it's a steady tone in my earbuds. The apps' detection seems super sensitive with no ability to change that within the app's settings, so I can't really use my WARBL with it as currently configured. If I could get this working properly, it would be very helpful. Any suggestions?

The WARBL is the first electronic or midi instrument I've ever used, so please forgive my ignorance. Try to keep that in mind in your response. ;)
gonzoB

Post by gonzoB »

Have you adjusted the Fluidsynth Gain? It's on the Settings page.

Changing to CC11 won't work.

Gonzo
---------------------------
Gonzo Projects Page: https://gonzos.net/projects
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's interesting about the volume in FluidSynth. As long as you have the "Force Max Velocity" switch turned on in the Configuration Tool, the WARBL should be sending notes with a velocity of 127, which I believe FluidSynth will interpret as maximum volume. So, I expect the only other way to increase it is the gain setting within FluidSynth as mentioned above.

The issue with the rapid succession of notes is common to MIDI wind controllers because there are often brief intermediate notes when you lift or lower a series of fingers. To some extent you can eliminate those with technique practice. Highland pipers spend a lot of time with this because you can hear individual notes from the chanter very clearly. With instruments like tin whistle and flute, brief notes are less apparent. The basic technique to learn is this: when you lift a series of fingers, always lift the uppermost one first, and when you lower a series of fingers, lower the uppermost one last.

Of course, technique will only get you so far. Some wind controllers have an option to filter out the briefest notes, and I do plan to add that in the next firmware update. That feature does have a downside, in that it necessarily adds a small amount of latency (delay).
Andrew Mowry
info@warbl.xyz
PictishWolf

Post by PictishWolf »

Sorry I didn't come back to report that the gain setting did indeed fix the volume problem. Thanks so much for the help!